Coolest Rainbow Birthday Cake Ever!

Hi, welcome to my house of boys where nine times out of ten one of them is walking around without a shirt on.

Carry on.

Photobucket

When the twins turned four in February I was on the search for a fun cake idea… and boy did I find one.

We always celebrate at home the night of our childrens’ birthday and then we have a party with family and friends in the coming weeks.

So for the home birthday celebration this is what I made. The coolest rainbow birthday cake ever!

I can not take the credit. I found the idea and recipe at an awesome mommy blog- The Idea Room.

I took her version and improvised a bit.

First, take your cake batter (get the specifics from The Idea Room) and divide it into six parts.

Color each batch with dye gel like what you would use to tint icing. Your batter will look like the picture below. Then bake each color separately in a cake pan.

Photobucket

Once they are done cooking and have cooled, layer them from the bottom up in the order of the color of the rainbow.

Then, whip up some plain white icing. You can use the icing recipe suggested at the Idea Room, or buy the boxed stuff that you just add water to. So stinkin’ simple! (I aint gonna lie- that is totally what I did!)

Ice it. Make it smooth.

Then add Skittles in the shape of a rainbow on top and use small marshmallows to make the shape of clouds.

Is this not the most adorable and fun cake ever?!?!

Photobucket

And then when you cut into it….everyone does the happy dance! The twins were on cloud nine! (I am so puny!)

Photobucket

Enjoy… then prepare yourself for an adult sugar coma and stomach ache as your children rage in hyperactivity and bounce off the walls.

Totally the best birthday cake EVER!  (But I already said that.)

Comments

1. 5 Boys and a Princess says

Wow! I'll have to try that soon (can't wait for a birthday since ours are all in the winter)

I came over from WFMW

Erica

2. Sue says

That has got to be the coolest cake that I've ever seen!!! Thank you so much for sharing it with all of us.
    Blessings to you,
    Sue :)

WFMW

3. Goldylocks aka Erin says

Holy Moly…now THAT is a cake!!!

How many cake mixes did you need? I think I need to make this :-)

4. Kristen @ ladybug-blessings.com says

wow, pretty intense! Must have taken forever but I am sure the boys LOVED it!

5. happyhomefairy.com says

That is the most magical cake EVER! Reminds me of my Rainbow Bright watching days – did you watch that show?? :-)

I would love to feature this during my month of St. Patrick's Ideas if you don't mind! ??

6. Crystal says

Happy Home Fairy-

I loved Rainbow Bright as a kid! Loved her!

Please, share! I would love that.

Thanks for stopping by. :)

7. Mo 'Betta says

I'm bookmarking this! My daughter has a b-day coming up and she would LOVE this!! Visiting from The Girl Creative linky!

8. Rachel Harwood says

So adorable! I can't wait to make one of these for my little girl. I love it!

Stop by and see what we're making at our house…
    SunScholars.blogspot.com

9. Leigh says

Oh holy cow! That is just plain awesome! I'm visiting from Tip Junkie and so glad to find your blog! Thanks so much for such a fun post…can't wait to try out this SUPER FUN cake! :)

10. Handbags*N*Pigtails says

We made this cake for my DD's 3rd birthday (2 years ago). But we decorated it subtly on the outside so everyone was totally shocked when we cut into it. I LOVE how you used the rainbow skittles on the outside. We've been thinking of making it again…just for fun. These would be a great colorful addition:)
    *Visiting from TipJunkie