How to Make Monkey Cupcakes

These adorable cupcakes are great for any monkey themed birthday party.

This is my second time to make them.

When the twins turned one, we had a monkey party.

Then this year when Matthew turned two, we had a monkey party.

You can make them too and they are certainly a crowd pleaser for kids and adults.

Here is what you will need:

• 24 baked cupcakes (make our favorite cupcake recipe)
  • 1 batch of chocolate buttercream icing
  • 1 box of Nilla wafers
  • 1 box of mini-Nilla wafers
  • brown m&m’s
  • icing spreader
  • 1 cup of white buttercream icing (here is our favorite recipe)
  • red icing dye
  • black icing dye
  • 2 icing bags- one for piping black icing and one for red
  • icing tip- one with a small opening like what you would use for writing on a cake ( you can omit the last five ingredients if you choose to purchase already made red and black colored icing tubes)

How to Assemble:

Let your baked cupcakes cool 100%.

Apply a nice layer of chocolate buttercream icing to each cupcake using a spreader.

Next, cut your Nilla wafers in half using a sharp knife.

Do this to the mini wafers as well.

Add the large Nilla wafer half to the lower section of the cupcake, as illustrated below. This will serve as the monkeys mouth area.

Add two brown m&m’s to each cupcake to represent the eyes. (m&m emblem face-down)

Add the mini Nilla wafer halves to represent the monkey’s ears.

Now it is time to add the red mouth and the black nostrils for the nose.

You could use the tubed color gels that you can buy on the cake aisle at your grocery store. It would be easier than making your own icing, but I do not like it.

Make your white buttercream icing.

Take about half a cup of the icing and add red icing dye to it. Put it in your icing bag with the small writing tip.

Pipe red little mouths on the large Nilla wafer.

Take another half a cup of icing and add black icing dye to it.

Put it in a clean icing bag with the small writing tip and make nostrils on the large wafer cookie as illustrated below.

I also like to add black dots to the m&m’s for some eye detail, but it is not a must.

And you’re done!

How rockin’ are those?!

I am sharing these tips and pointers on these resourceful sites: i heart naptime,  the girl creativeC.R.A.F.T. craftomatic,  crafts keep me sane,   skip to my loumaking the world cutersumos sweet stuff mad in crafts, tip junkie, tasty tuesdaytempt my tummy tuesdaycraft edition hope studios, todays creative blog, sew much adosomeday crafts,  we are that family,  blue cricket designs,  somewhat simple,  paisley passionshouse of hepworths fun to craftfingerprints on the fridge, tidy moma few of my favorite things and  it’s a hodge podge life.   Looking for a more copious list? Here are over 50 sites to search for and share projects  and tutorials.

Comments

1. Tracy says

These are totally rocking! I bet they’re a real hit with the kids. You’re probably known as one of the “cool moms” with such cute edible goodies!

I’d love for you to link this and any other cupcake related post you have at the month long Cupcake Link Party!

Cheers,
    Tracy

These are too cute! I would love it if you came over to my party “Cast Party Wednesday” tomorrow and shared some of your recipes with us.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

These are just so freakin adorable! I feel the urge to go throw a monkey themed party immediately and serve these cupcakes along with bananas, monkey bread and fruity drinks out of cups shaped like monkeys. . .

Thank you SO much for sharing these!! I do a weekly theme with my kids and next week is zoo animals…we are SO making these! I am your newest follower, please feel free to check me out at Blue Skies Ahead!!

Hi Crystal,
    Your tutorial on Monkey Cupcakes is very good. They just look adorable and your tutorial helps take the fear of failure away. Great post! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and sure hope to see you again real soon!
    Miz Helen

6. Abbie says

These are soo cute! Great idea! I am doing a Monkey Theme for my sons 1st Birthday Party and I am so gonna make these! I am going to the store in a bit to get the stuff to test them out! Thanks for the wonderful idea!

7. Sanghamitra says

What a great post! Thanks for sharing:) Beautiful space you got here!
    Hope to see you on my blog:)

8. Arline Jennings says

I’m going to have to try these! I love their little monkey faces. These are too cute! They just look adorable and your tutorial helps take the fear of failure away.
    Arline Jennings recently posted..Arthritis TipsMy Profile

1. [...]   I went on a holiday baking craze and decided to make an attempt at Sock Monkey cupcakes.   A good friend sent me a recipe and since I was in the spirit of baking, I decided to give it a try.   I made 28 of these adorable cupcakes and I’m happy to announce they were delicious!   These cupcakes would be great for a monkey themed birthday party!   View Original Post: How To Make Monkey Cupcakes [...]

2. [...]   I went on a holiday baking craze and decided to make an attempt at Sock Monkey cupcakes.   A good friend sent me a recipe and since I was in the spirit of baking, I decided to give it a try.   I made 28 of these adorable cupcakes and I’m happy to announce they were delicious!   These cupcakes would be great for a monkey themed birthday party!   View Original Post: How To Make Monkey Cupcakes [...]