Pina Colada Cake

Have you ever had Pina Colada Cake?

Me neither.

Until a month ago at my mother’s house.

I bribed her to get the recipe.

Simple.

Delicious!

But you must follow her spastic directions to a ‘T’.

Ingredients:

• 1 yellow cake mix (or a coconut cake mix)
  • ingredients listed on your cake mix box (likely eggs, water and oil)
  • 1 can cream of coconut
  • 8 oz thawed whipped cream that has defrosted in the fridge
  • 1-2 cups shredded coconut (I used half a bag)

Prepare your yellow cake mix as the box instructs.

Spray the inside of a 9×13 cake pan with non-stick spray.

My mother  says you MUST use a metal cake pan.

I used a glass pan and my research shows the cake tastes just fine either way.

Pour in your cake batter.

Bake according to the box directions. Likely at 350 degrees for 30′ish minutes.

Immediately when the cake comes out of the oven, use a toothpick to poke holes in the cake.

Lots and lots of holes.

I asked my mother if you could use a fork to poke the holes, she said no.

You MUST use a toothpick AND it MUST be done as soon as the cake comes out of the oven or the cake will self destruct.

(She is a little dramatic.)

Shew, I followed directions.

Next, open a can of cream of coconut. My mother says it is really important that the can is blue with a ship on it.

My can was blue with a parrot on it.

Close enough.

Shake the can well before you open it.

Once open, pour the entire can over the cake.

Now, let the cake cool 100%.

Once the cake is cool, grab your thawed, but still in the refrigerator, whipped cream.

Smear one tub, or 3/4 of the tub because your children got into it, over the top of the cake.

Make it smooth.

Sprinkle coconut flakes over the cake.

My mother uses an entire bag, which is close to 2 cups. That is a little much for me.

I end up using about 1 cup.

And my cake did not implode.

(Refrigerate until you are ready to serve.)

Slice and plate it up.

Best when eaten after playing outside in the hot Texas heat.

Use a fork or simply shovel it into your mouth by hand.

No matter what, devour every bite.

Then take a bath.

I am sharing this recipe on these resourceful sites: i heart naptime,  the girl creativeC.R.A.F.T. craftomatic,  crafts keep me sane,   skip to my loumaking the world cutersumos sweet stuff mad in crafts, tip junkie, tasty tuesdaytempt my tummy tuesdaycraft edition hope studios, todays creative blog, sew much adosomeday crafts,  we are that family,  blue cricket designs,  somewhat simple,  paisley passionshouse of hepworths fun to craftfingerprints on the fridge, tidy moma few of my favorite things and  it’s a hodge podge life.   Looking for a more copious list? Here are over 50 sites to search for and share projects  and tutorials.

Comments

1. Tracey says

Thanks for sharing this recipe with such great instructions and photo’s.
    Shows us just how easy peasy it can be to make delicious treats!

2. Kim Idell says

Melinda made this cake for their party Sunday. If I remember correctly, she also used a glass pan. Thank goodness it came out ok. :)

3. becki says

LOL…you know I love your mom even if she is a little bossy @ times (look who I am telling)! Great receipe and definitely will try it next time we have a luncheon @ work or church. My hubby doesn’t like coconut either….hmmmm I guess that means MORE for ME!!! :)

This looks so good. I’m having a recipe only link party “Cast Party Wednesday”. This would be a perfect addition to my party. I would love it if you came by and shared some of your recipes with us.
    Thanks,
    I hope to see you there!

Hi Crystal,
    Adorable photo of your baby and precious memories. That cake recipe looks so easy and the outcome so delicious, that is the kind I love. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and sure hope to see you again real soon!
    Miz Helen

Mmm….boy do I love me some Pina Colada and this cake just looks fantastic. Marking in my fave’s file. Thanks for sharing such a yummy recipe!

found you over on sugar & dots.

gotta make this.

and poke accordingly.
    ship not parrot.
    but parrot will do.
    got it.

thanks for the tips! ;)

8. Johnnie says

This is so cool! I am a new follower. Stopping by to invite you to link up to Thrifty Thursdays. Blessings!

Johnnie

9. Susan H. says

I make this cake too with the addition of 1 can of sweetened condensed milk poured over cake along with the cream of coconut. It is so rich and yummy!

Hi there – I just recently made a pina colada cake for someone’s birthday. It was my first time making. Mine was much different than this one, but this one still sounds good. Just one question, though… is there any pineapple in this cake or is it just a coconut cake?

I sooooooooo love coconut, I’m definitely trying this (if it wasn’t close to 11pm, I’d make it right now).
    Emily
    domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

ts- there is not any pineapple in this version, but I bet that would be yummy. I would fold them in (drained) after you prepare the batter and before you pour it into the pan.

Let me know if you try it. Thanks for reading.

12. Donna says

I have made this cake for years and everyone loves it. I add a small can of crushed pineapple (drained) to the cake mix.

13. Kendra says

I just this cake today and had to search for the recipe. I’m pretty sure this is it, except that the coconut on top was toasted and she added pecans on top as well. OH MY GOSH!!!!! Seriously delicious.

14. Sarah Carletti says

I love this idea. I love coconut!!! I would really love if you could link up to my Thursday Food Fest! I hope to see you there. Sarah

Crystal, This Pina Colada Cake is awesome. Your son is so cute and your mom is very wise on her directions. My mom thinks like your mom too.
    Very unique recipe. Congrats !!

1. [...] Crystal and Company made this Pina Colada cake and I tried it, too! I used a sugar free Pillsbury cake mix and toasted the coconut a little and it was scrumptious! [...]

2. [...] Crystal and Company made this Pina Colada cake and I tried it, too! I used a sugar free Pillsbury cake mix and toasted the coconut a little and it was scrumptious! [...]