Need the perfect buttercream icing recipe for your next birthday cake or the cupcakes you are making? I have one! It is my go to for birthday parties!
You will need:
- 1 1/2 cups solid shortening- Crisco brand preferably
- 1 stick butter (at room temperature)
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- (1) 32 oz. bag confectioners sugar
- 1/3 cup milk (or try heavy whipping cream)
Cream butter and shortening with an electric mixer until well blended. A stand-alone mixer works best.
Add the vanilla and mix until blended. At this point your icing should look like this:
Gradually add sugar one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Stop in between each cup to scrape the sides and botton of the bowl.
The icing will start to get dry, you can gradually add your milk or heavy whipping cream. Keep mixing until everything is fluffy and smooth. If you would like to color the icing, this is the stage you would do that. Just add the gel coloring and mix on medium speed until well blended.
You can now place the icing in a bag for piping your cupcakes or ice your cake.
Here is the perfect homemade cupcake recipe that goes hand in hand with the icing recipe.
More Cake, Cupcake and Party Ideas:
- 5 Ways to Make a Boxed Cake Mix Better
- Homemade Chocolate Buttercream Icing
- Best Cupcake Recipe Ever!
- Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- Minion Cake Pops