My friend Kim and I are still on our Thrifty Mission. I am by far not a pro at this, and honestly get pretty frustrated with it sometimes, but this is what I have learned so far.
- Make a list of all the things you are wanting to find. Work only off your list only. The idea is not to collect a bunch of junk.
- One project at a time. If that piece or item you are buying requires refinishing, only have one project going at a time.
- Share your list with your thrifty friends and vise verse. That way someone else is always on the look out for items for you and you can be on the look out for them as well.
- Take reinforcement with you, especially if you are thrift shopping with children. Sometimes you have to dig, sort, and really focus. That can be a challenge when you are tugging kids along with you.
- Keep a calendar of upcoming events at resale shops and organized sales. This may include 50% off days at your local Goodwill and annual neighborhood garage sales.
- Don’t be afraid to negotiate. This mostly applies for garage and estate sales, but after all, they are getting rid of something they do not want anymore.
Here are some of my recent finds and what I’ve paid for them:
A side table for our master bedroom. I am going to paint it black and alter the hardware.
Purchased at Goodwill on their 50% off day.
Craft table for the twins’ bedroom. (My friend Kim noticed the table after I walked by it twice! Score!)
Purchased at a resale shop on 50% off day.
Two door knob sets for Garrett’s and Anthony’s bedrooms. (Such a random thing on my list and I found them!)
Purchased at a large annual neighborhood yard sale.
Paid: $5.00 total
Phone for our bedroom. (Reminds me of a phone my grandmother use to have.)
Purchased at Goodwill on 50% off day.
I want to share with you one of my new favorite resale shops that is located here in the DFW area. My friend Kim has known about it forever, and I finally took her word and went with her. According to Kim, they have regular deals and sales. The day we went it was 50% off day. (This is where I got the craft table for the twins’ room.) If you’re in the area, or looking to find a new thrifty shop, this is a great place to check out!
What are some thrifty finds you have scored? I would love to hear about them!