Strawberry Shortcake Kabobs

This idea was inspired by a tidbit I read in the July edition of Parent’s magazine.

Last year we made fruit kabobs for a bridal shower and they were adorable, yummy and practical.

Here is my version of Strawberry Shortcake Kabobs. These would be perfect for a birthday party, bridal or baby shower, holiday get- togethers or picnics. We had them the other day as an afternoon snack.

You will need:

• 1-2 pints of washed strawberries
  • angel food cake
  • whipped cream
  • your favorite sprinkles
  • kabob skewers

Cube your angel food cake.

It does not have to be perfect cubes as your cake is likely round so some pieces will be odd shaped.

Slice your strawberries.

I needed to stretch my strawberries out, so I cut them into fourths (although the picture below only shows halves). You can simply cut them in half or use whole strawberries- you choose.

Grab your skewer and alternate with angel food cake and strawberries until the skewer is as full as you want it.

This is a fun step the kids can help with. You can have them build their own kabob if you like.

Once we’re done I like use kitchen sheers to cut the sharp end off of the skewer for safety reasons.

My kids have been known to use them as weapons. (The skewer that is.)

The kids love this step as well…. the whipped cream! Especially the canned kind.

Make a nice heaping of your favorite whipped topping on the individual plates you will serve the kabobs on.

And what makes whipped cream more fun than your favorite sprinkles?

Coordinate the colors to match the theme of your celebration.

Red, white and blue sprinkles would rock for your 4th of July party!

If you’re letting kids make their own kabobs, this is an ubber fun step!

And you’re all done!

Super simple, or what?

I am sharing these tips and pointers on these resourceful sites: i heart naptime,  the girl creativeC.R.A.F.T. craftomatic,  crafts keep me sane,   skip to my loumaking the world cutersumos sweet stuff mad in crafts, tip junkie, tasty tuesday tempt my tummy tuesday, simply sugar & gluten-free, craft edition hope studiostodays creative blog, sew much adosomeday crafts,  we are that family,  blue cricket designs somewhat simplepaisley passionshouse of hepworths fun to craftfingerprints on the fridge, tidy moma few of my favorite things and  it’s a hodge podge life.   Looking for a more copious list? Here are over 50 sites to search for and share projects  and tutorials.

Comments

1. Donna says

very cute idea!
    I always love food of all kinds on kabobs :)
    I guess it makes them more appealing.
    Thanks for sharing!

love this! It is so simple yet so fun. I wish I had seen this before I wrote my post because I would have definitely added it to the list.

3. Leslie says

I made these this past thursday night for a small family “4th” get together and i added blueberries for the red, white and blue touch. Everyone loved them! they were so simple to fix and i didnt mind the kids “stealing” my berries as i made them. Thank you so much for linking this up to tip junkie, which is where i saw it.

Hi Crystal,
    What a great idea and a fun dessert, it looks delicious. I have joined your site. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and sure hope to see you again real soon!
    Miz Helen

Theses are so cute and so easy! My daughter is having a strawberry shortcake Birthday party this year and I think that these just might make the buffet! Thanks for the great idea!

super simple and looks great! would be nice with some chocolate syrup too, or a chocolate fondue if you really want to impress! thanks for sharing on Craft Schooling sunday, hope we’ll see you again soon!

7. Mandi says

This is such a fun idea! I have some leftover kabob sticks from the 4th of July, and now I know what I’ll do with them! :)

Happily following you from the Welcome Wednesday Blog Hop. I would love it if you would follow back. Stop on by and say hi!

Mandi
    boredombustingmommy.blogspot.com

Oh my goodness, my kids would love this! And, I can totally do this! ;) (I’m not the best cook…) Thank you so much for sharing this fun idea!

Hey Crystal! You are so creative. We have lots of guests coming this summer and I really get tired of heating up the house every afternoon to make a dessert. The sprinkles add a playful touch. Brilliant!