We are a pretty conservative family and my husband is very frugal. We live well below our means. By doing so it allows me to stay home with my children. We are always looking for ways to save money year round.
If you want to be thrifty and reduce your household budget, here is a great list of over 30 ways to save money.
Ways to Save Money in the Kitchen
- Sometimes it can be cheaper to buy things in bulk. Here are the top 5 things to buy at Costco.
- Use printable coupons. You do not have to be an extreme couponer to save money at the grocery store. I have a list of over 20 coupon sites you will want to check out!
- Meal plan each week. By meal planning you will save money at the grocery store and stay out of the drive thru lines!
- Use easy recipes with short ingredient lists. Serving a fancy recipe at dinner that uses tons of ingredients that are expensive and uncommon can send your grocery budget over the top.
- Cook in the crockpot.
- Stick to easy breakfast ideas.
- Grow your own food. I have tips for fall gardening and square foot gardening.
- Try home remedies for things like getting out grass stains, teeth whitening and bee stings using common items from kitchen.
Ways to Save Money on Clothing
- Shop for kids clothing at resale stores. I love this online store that offers free shipping for orders over $40. I buy from resale shops all the time.
- Find clothes at Goodwill. I have a close friend who has taught me how to appreciate 50% off day at Goodwill. Our goodwill has 50% off day once a month. You really can find some awesome deals there and no on will know you bought it at Goodwill.
- Re-purpose kids jeans into shorts. This is perfect for those jeans with holes in them!
Ways to Save Money on Household Items and Decorating Your Home
- Accept hand-me-downs that are purposeful. You do not want to clutter your home, but if it is something you can use, accept it. This is how we scored a much needed deep freezer for FREE.
- Check out thrift stores for furniture items. I have found bookshelves, desks, wooden side tables and more, all for a fraction of what you would pay for it new.
- Check out local garage sales. Again, be purposeful when you shop and only buy things you or your family needs. I love searching for children’s’ books and games at garage sales.
- Think outside of the box when decorating your home for the holidays.
- Make your own furniture. It is easier than you think. I also love Ana White’s blog where she shows you how to make just about any piece of furniture for cheap.
- Use common household items to make a center piece for your table.
- Create inexpensive art for your home by re-purposing your kids’ art work.
Ways to Save Money Shopping Online
- Use discount codes when shopping online. I love these sites that have discount code lists.
- Save money grocery shopping online.
- Look for deals online.
- Get free shipping on Amazon.
- Download free eBooks.
Ways to Save Money While Raising Children
- Make homemade gifts.
- Make homemade birthday party invitations for your kids.
- Homeschool on a budget.
- 80 free and inexpensive Summer activities for kids.
- 35 thrifty Winter activities for kids.
- 10 more affordable Winter activities for kids.
- Make instruments out of recycled items at home.
Ways to Save Money on Medical and Personal Care
- Workout at Home- I have a list of 12 budget friendly resources so you can exercise at home even if the kids are hanging all over you.
- Don’t have medical insurance? Save money on prescriptions by asking for the $4 meds or by being a member of your pharmacy’s RX savings club. We save tons of money every year by doing this!
- Order your glasses online. My mother-in-law swears by this. She brags about the savings all the time.
- Search for dental plan alternatives that save your family money and do not charge ridiculous annual fees.