Fire Safety Tips for the Holidays from @TheHomeDepot

As I shared last week, we took our three littlest boys, who are homeschooled, on a field trip to our local fire station for a tour. They shared an excellent amount of information with my boys and reminded us of fire safety tips to implement in our home.

On Saturday, the twins and I made a trip to Home Depot to sit in on one of their weekly clinic/workshops. This one was about fire safety, of course. The Home Depot can help you learn more about how to make fire safety a priority in your home and identify and fix fire hazards.

During the workshop we were reminded of many of the same tips and pointers that the fire station shared with us, but I loved these three new-to-me tips and I thought you might find them helpful as well.

Fire Safety Tip #1

Change the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors when you change your clocks for Daylight Savings. So smart and easy to remember.

I love this combo set I found at The Home Depot.

carbon monoxide detector

Fire Safety Tip #2

Don’t overload your electrical circuits. With indoor decorating and outdoor decorating this can be easily done. Ensure everything is properly distributed, electrical-wise, to avoid fire.

fire safety

Fire Safety Tip #3

Go with the LED lights- both for decorating your tree and household holiday decor. LED lights do not heat up or get hot, this eliminates a great deal of fire risk. This was new to me.

fire safety

Here is to a safe and fire free season.

The Home Depot partnered with bloggers such as me to help promote Fire Safety Awareness Month. As part of this promotion, I received a gift card for my time. They did not tell me what to purchase or what to say about the products used. The Home Depot believes that consumers and bloggers are free to form their own opinions and share them in their own words. The Home Depot’s policies align with WOMMA Ethics Code, FTC guidelines and social media engagement recommendations. You can read my full disclosure here.


  1. Becca@Locksmith Adelaide says

    Thanks for this good blog… At least try to routinely check your electrical appliances and wiring for frayed wires or cords. It’s a big help to be not caught with fire.
    Becca@Locksmith Adelaide recently posted..Emergency Electrician ZetlandMy Profile

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge