One of my favorite clean ways to eat spaghetti is using squash as the noodles. Have you ever tried it?
Did you know you can also do other things with squash…. like stuff it! I can’t wait to share these stuffed spaghetti squash recipes with you!
NEED TO SAVE MONEY
ON YOUR GROCERY BILL?
If you have not tried eating this particular squash in place of your favorite pasta or even a bread dish, you are missing out! The flavor is amazing and there is seriously no guilt! We love to use spaghetti squash in place of noodles and even the kids are a fan. It has a buttery texture that tastes oh so good!
So I wanted to get clever with this and figure out news ways to incorporate this new found favorite into other dishes. So let’s stuff it!!
What is Spaghetti Squash?
It is a vegetable that comes in a variety of different colors. I often see it in a shade of yellow at the grocery store, but you can also find it in ivory and orange. The orange variety is highest in carotene, which makes sense.
When cooked, this particular squash is stringy when you run a fork through it, like spaghetti.
The squash shell is very hard on the outside, so you want to use a good knife when cutting it open.
I like to roast mine on a baking sheet, or cook it in the electric pressure cooker, if I am not stuffing it. If I am roasting it I cover it in olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic and cook.
They are great for stuffing too! You can stuff them with any meat, like ground beef, chicken, ground pork, etc.
Or, the spaghetti squash strands are perfect to use instead of pasta with your favorite meat sauce.
Stuffed Spaghetti Squash Recipes
1.Try out this healthy take on Stuffed Lasagna Spaghetti Squash Julie’s Eats and Treats
2. There is nothing better than cheese and this Cheesy Pesto Chicken Spaghetti Squash is amazing! Peas and Crayons
3. No guilt with this delicious recipe for Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Spaghetti Squash. Recipe Runner
4. You must make this Broccoli & Cheese Stuffed Spaghetti Squash for a great side dish! Domestic Superhero
5. Here is a hearty and healthy take on Beef Stroganoff. Yum! Cupcakes & Kale Chips
6. These Burrito Spaghetti Squash bowls are stuffed with veggies and zesty flavor. Making Thyme For Health
7. The taste and flavor of Sausage and Pepper Stuffed Spaghetti Squash seriously can’t be beat! Closet Cooking
8. Check out this Chicken Parmesan Stuffed Spaghetti Squash that is the ultimate healthy Italian dish. Tasty
9. With this Chili Stuffed Spaghetti Squash dinner will be unbelievable! Tastes Better From Scratch
10. This Skinny Shrimp Parmesan Spaghetti Squash is so irresistible you have to make it tonight! Baker By Nature
11. Try this Thai Stuffed Spaghetti Squash that has broccoli and a great kick in the sauce! Connoisseurus Veg
12. You won’t believe the cheesy goodness of this Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Spaghetti Squash with half the calories. Closet Cooking
13. Nobody can pass up this Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Spaghetti Squash with onions and peppers! Recipes and Ramblins
14. This Sausage & Kale Stuffed Spaghetti Squash is truly soul satisfying! Paleo Grubs
15. Need a good dip for your favorite chips? This Greek Yogurt Spinach & Artichoke Stuffed Spaghetti Squash is perfect. With Salt & Wit
16. Here is some good Pizza Stuffed Spaghetti Squash minus all the bread but oh so good! The Wholesome Dish
17. Change things up for a meatless meal any night of the week with a Southwestern Stuffed Spaghetti Squash. Taste and Tell
18. You can’t escape the goodness of this Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Spaghetti Squash. Peas and Crayons
19. If you love Greek flavor these Greek Stuffed Spaghetti Squash is delicious. Today
20. This Spinach Chicken Alfredo Stuffed Spaghetti Squash is a lighten version of such a classic Italian dish. Whole & Heavenly Oven
21.With a fresh flavor infused with basil and garlic this Caprese Stuffed Spaghetti Squash is simply amazing! Cook Nourish Bliss
What do you stuff your spaghetti squash with? Share your ideas!
Spaghetti Squash Carbs
For one cup of squash it is only 7g of carbohydrates. This is one reason why it is such a great alternative to pasta!
Now that you have lots of ideas and recipes for using spaghetti squash you can see ways to use it to cut the carbs. It can also be used in casseroles.
It is Keto friendly, but you need to be aware of portion control if you’re focused on a Keto diet.
Can Spaghetti Squash Be Reheated
Yes! I refrigerate whatever is left and then reheat in the microwave.
If it is a stuffed squash, just cover it in foil and reheat later after removing the foil.
If I am just reheating the strands of squash, reheat it in 20 to 30 second increments so you don’t overheat it.
Spaghetti Squash Too Mushy
If yours turns out too mushy that means you’ve either overcooked it or your squash was bad from the start.
Before you cook the squash, the inside should be pretty firm. If it’s mushy before you cook it, it’s probably old and needs to be tossed.
Here are the ideal cook times (when you’re not stuffing them) according to cooking method.
- Oven: at 350 degrees for 45-60minutes face down on a cookie sheet.
- Microwave: on high for 12 minutes. Ensure you put the halves face down in a microwave safe glass dish.
- Slow Cooker: on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-6 hours. Just place the halves face down inside the crock insert.
- Instant Pot: on high pressure for 7 minutes. Ensure you add one cup of water to the insert when you add the halved squash.
Spaghetti Squash Whole30
Since traditional spaghetti noodles are not Whole30 compliant, you might be looking for an alternative.
Look no further because spaghetti squash is your answer!
This is a great solution since it is a vegetable and Whole30 is all about the vegetables.
Spaghetti squash is gluten free.
Whole30 Instant Pot Recipes
If you are trying to eat clean and eat better, Whole30 recipes are a great place to start. Here are twenty-two Whole30 recipes that can be made int he Instant Pot.