Valentine Crafts: Free Printable for Heart Crayon Valentines

My first time to re-purpose crayons, or make my own crayon shapes, was last year.

I became addicted. It is so much fun to create different shapes and the kids loved them.

They make inexpensive gifts for birthday party favors as well as school class parties.

You can read my full step by step tutorial for melting crayons into fun shapes. In the meantime, here is a quick overview for making your own Valentines using broken crayons and a free printable.

Actually two free printables- a version for girls and a version for boys.

You Will Need:

• white cardstock

• heart-shaped muffin tin or form

• crayon pieces

• 4×9 clear cello bags

• stapler

• scissors or paper-cutter

• Color Your Heart Out Valentine Free Printable (boy) <— click to print

• Color Your Heart Out Valentine Free Printable (girl) <— click to print

I grabbed this heart-shaped muffin form from Target last year in the dollar bins. You do want to make sure whatever you are using is oven safe. Some of the smaller heart shapes are intended for making ice cubes only.

I like to fill each heart shape with the equivalent of three full crayons broken into pieces.

This is what they look like before you pop them in the oven.

This is what they look like after you bake them for 10-15 minutes.

Let them cool 100% before removing them from the muffin tin.

Look at how awesome these turned out.

So much fun! The kids are always so impressed.

And the cool part is, you have three different colors on one crayon.

And see, they really color.

Print out the printables. There is one printable done in boy colors and one in girl colors.

Have your kiddos fill out the to and from area on the cards.

Then cut them out and fold them in half.

Pop one crayon in a cello bag.

Fold the top of the cello bag over.

Place the folded printable over the cello bag and secure with one staple in the center of the printable.

Here is a shot of the back of the cards.

And here is the front.

Super simple and awesome!

What little one would not love to receive this on Valentines Day?

Check out all of my Valentine crafts for more ideas.

More Kid Valentine Crafts:

Comments

Cath- your words are too kind. I am so glad this is a printable you can use and you are finding useful solutions here on my site.
      Happy to have you as a new follower. Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts!

I love this printable. I only wish I could find the heart shaped ice cube trays I ‘ve looked everywhere!! I would love if you would share this printable at my linky party. I am looking for inexpensive kid-friendly activities and this would be great. Thanks for sharing your ideas and talent it is appreciated and I will use these printables if I can find the ice cube tray.

Here’s where you and link up if you would like: http://funfrugalmommy.blogspot.com/2012/01/fun-frugal-friday-linky-party_26.html

2. Courtney says

I love this idea!! I went to the store and bought all of the items already. My daughter is super excited to make them. I would love to print out the tags but they do not appear when I click on the free printable part :( Thanks for the great idea.

3. Linda Ortola says

Dear Crystal, I am creating a coloring book for adults with disabilties and would like to title the book, “Color Your Heart Out”. Do you have exclusive ‘rights’ to this title? I don’t want to violate any copyright laws and get into trouble! Would you have a problem if I used “Color Your Heart Out” as the title of my book. I’d like to ditribute the book to Nursing homes and rehab clinics. Thank you! Linda

• Linda Ortola says

Wow! Thank you! I would love to share it with you as soon as I get it printed. I’ll send you a complimentary copy. I hope to help any person who is in need of healing – physically, mentally, and emotionally. That just about covers everybody in the world, doesn’t it? LOL
        Linda

My daughter has made the crayon hearts before and they turned out just awesome! She attached a lollypop and gave them out for V-day. Visiting from “Friday Flash Blog” link up. I love all things paper and letter writing so I really love that your kids are making their own V-day cards.

5. Victoria says

I absolutely love this! I used to do this in the classroom with my students, but I love this idea with the heart and for Valentines Day :) Thank you for sharing at the Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop! You were featured this week as one of my favorites :) Have a wonderful week!
    Victoria recently posted..EBook Bundle of the Week {How To Go Green}My Profile

6. Victoria says

These are awesome. Thanks for sharing! Can you tell me what program you used to make the printable tags? They’re so pretty.

I love this idea….my 4 year old loves to draw and I spend so much money buying her crayons and markers….this idea will help us recycle the old ones into new ones. That is amazing!

I am also a momtrepreneur like you please check my website where we let people create and share free personalized wish lists online. We would appreciate your feedback!

1. 8 Totally FREE Valentine Day Printables, Cards & Snack Ideas! | Northern Michigan Coupon GirlNorthern Michigan Coupon Girl says:

[…] FREE Printable For Heart Crayon Valentines by Crystal & […]