As you know we have a letter of the week craft series for preschoolers on this site. We also have additional activities to go with these lessons like books you can read to your preschooler as you learn each letter, Do a Dot printbales, handwriting practice for each letter and snack ideas. Now we are adding a hand print art craft for each letter of the alphabet. How exciting is this? Each one will coordinate with our already existing curriculum, like a is for alligator, b is for butterfly, etc. Your preschooler, pre-k kid or kindergartner will love this!
Hi everyone! I’m Amanda and I will be guest blogging an entire hand print art alphabet series here on Crystal & Co. over the next few months. It should be a fun series and I am excited to see it all come together when all 26 letters are finished! Up 1st is the craft A is for alligator.
Instructions for making the hand print alligator:
- Have both the blue and green paint open and ready, each with their own paintbrush.
- You will be painting half the hand in each color. Paint the half with the thumb, index, and middle finger using the green paint.
- Use blue to paint the other half with the pinky and ring finger blue.
- Make a hand print on the paper keeping in mind that the thumb will be the top of the alligator and the pinky will be on the bottom creating the water. Create a ‘V’ shape between the pointer and index – the rest of the fingers should be touching each other including the thumb. Our’s has a gap where the thumb is supposed to be touching making the eye area huge!
- You can either stop there with just one print, or you could make a 2nd one creating the alligator’s body. To do this, repeat the same steps for painting the hand as above using the opposite hand.
- Make the print with the palms touching and the colors matching the other hand print.
- Set aside to dry.
- Once dry, outline the two green fingers and add teeth – now you have the mouth done!
- Next, outline the thumb (eye area) all the way to the tip of the pointer finger of the 2nd hand print. Draw a tail and then make a wavy outline where the two colors meet. Finish outlining the blue water.
- Color in the tail with a green marker.
- Add an eye and a black dot for the nose.
- Write A is for Alligator.
Letter of the Week Activities for Preschoolers (Letter A)
- Letter of the Week Craft: A is for Alligator
- Preschool Letter Worksheets: Alligator Do a Dot
- Handwriting Practice for Kids: A is for Alligator
- Books Children Must Read: Letter A
- Letter of the Week Snack for Aa
- How to Make an Alphabet Flip Book
- Free Preschool Printable: Handwriting Worksheets
Also, check out these Handwriting Practice Worksheets for learning the alphabet with your preschooler!
Amanda is an ‘artsy momma’ to 2 kids who love making crafts just as much as she does. Follow their creative journey over on the blog titled Artsy Momma. Besides crafts, they share fun food ideas, hands-on learning activities, mommy DIY, + lots more! If you love handprint art, head over to their Fun Handprint Art blog where you will find hundreds of their projects all made with little hands and feet.