I’ve read Crystal and Company for about a year, so I’m tickled to be here guest posting today as she is one of my favorites!
As a mom of a busy family, I’m always looking for quick, healthy recipes. I like to eat food in season, and I like to buy organics. To try and save money I buy food in bulk. I also use lots of organic coupons!
Getting dinner on the table during the school year is a challenge. I have two girls that play volleyball, and sometimes we don’t get home until after 8. If I didn’t have a crockpot, I’m sure we’d be swinging by the closest fast food joint in a fit of hunger! But having a quick and easy meal doesn’t start just with a crockpot. By planning ahead and using one cooking day a month to freeze meals that can just be defrosted over night then dumped in the crockpot the next day, dinner becomes really quick and easy.
This recipe is easy to make ahead and freeze in the marinade. Don’t you just love a no-brainer when it comes to the question, “What’s for dinner?” In fact, I love any meal that I can do all the prep work first, freeze it, then make it in a hurry. I’ve got freezer recipes for Four Grain Waffles, Whole Wheat Pancake Mix, and Twice-baked Potatoes that can all be prepped ahead!
|Quick, Healthy Recipe: Crockpot Spicy Apricot Chicken|
- 3 t dark sesame oil
- 4 bone-in chicken breasts, skin removed
- 1/2 C apricot preserves
- 2 T rice wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 t ginger
- 1 T Sirachi sauce (optional – leave out if you have little ones)
- 2 t soy sauce
- Combine sesame oil, preserves, rice vinegar, garlic, ginger, Sirachi (if using), and soy sauce.
- Place chicken in freezer safe bag and cover with marinade.
- Freeze until ready to use.
- The night before cooking, place chicken in fridge to defrost overnight.
- The next day, place all ingredients in crockpot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
So tell me, do you use a crockpot?
Andrea strives to live the frugal, green lifestyle. In addition to her quick, healthy recipes she loves to find a deal on organic products and hunts down all the organic and natural food coupons she can! She also shares her tips for going green!