This Easy Chicken Potato Casserole recipe is perfect for a busy weeknight meal. Layer cooked potatoes, rotisserie chicken, sour cream, soup, milk and cheese in a baking dish and bake until bubbly. Don’t forget the bacon on top! Your family will love this easy and delicious meal.
Chicken Recipes are a lifesaver on busy weeknights. Whether you’re looking for something cheesy and comforting or light and healthy, there’s a casserole out there that will fit the bill. And the best part is that most of these recipes can be made ahead of time, so all you have to do is pop them in the oven when you’re ready to eat. So if you’re looking for an easy way to get dinner on the table, check out some of these delicious chicken casserole recipes.
Ingredients Needed for This Recipe
Here’s what you need for this easy weeknight meal!
- Rotisserie Chicken– Rotisserie chicken is a great option for chicken casserole recipes because it is already cooked and shredded, which saves time. Rotisserie chicken is also generally more moist than other types of cooked chicken, so it helps to keep the casserole from drying out.
- Potatoes– Potatoes are a versatile vegetable that can be used in a variety of recipes. When it comes to making a chicken and potato casserole, there are a few different varieties of potatoes that can be used. For example, russet potatoes have a higher starch content, which can make them more creamy when cooked. Yukon gold potatoes have a buttery flavor that pairs well with chicken.
- Sour Cream– Sour cream is often used as a topping for baked potatoes, but it can also be used to make a delicious chicken casserole. When added to the casserole, the sour cream gives the dish a creamy texture and a slightly tangy flavor. It also helps to moisten the chicken so that it doesn’t dry out during baking.
- Cream of Chicken Soup– Cream of Chicken Soup is not only flavorful, but it also helps to create a creamy, smooth texture in the casserole. In addition, the soup’s thick consistency helps to bind all of the ingredients together, ensuring that each bite is packed with flavor.
- Milk– Milk is often used in chicken casserole recipes for a couple of reasons. First, milk helps to tenderize the chicken, making it more juicy and flavorful. Secondly, milk adds richness and creaminess to the dish, making it more indulgent.
- Shredded Cheese– Shredded cheese melts evenly and quickly, creating a smooth, creamy sauce that binds the other ingredients together. This is in contrast to block cheese, which can lead to a lumpy, uneven sauce. In addition, the shredded cheese helps to create a golden, bubbly crust on top of the casserole.
- Bacon Pieces– Bacon Pieces are a popular ingredient in many chicken casserole recipes. Bacon Pieces add a delicious smoky flavor to the dish and they add a nice crunch to the casserole.
- Green Onion– Green Onion adds a sharp, oniony flavor to the dish without being overwhelming. It also has a milder flavor than regular onions, so it won’t overpower the other ingredients in the casserole. Green Onion is also a good source of vitamins and minerals, making it a healthy addition to any meal.
- Garlic Powder– Garlic powder is a common ingredient in chicken casserole recipes. When used correctly, it can add a depth of flavor that enhances the other ingredients in the dish.
- Salt and Pepper– Salt and Pepper are some of the most common spices used in cooking. They can be used to add flavor to almost any dish, and they’re especially good at bringing out the natural flavors of chicken.
- Melted Butter– Melted butter is often used as a topping for chicken casserole. It helps to moisten the dish, preventing the chicken from drying out during cooking. It also adds flavor and richness to the casserole. And finally, it helps to brown the top of the dish, giving it a lovely golden color.
Cooking Essentials from Amazon:
DOWAN 13OXO Good Grips 5-Quart Mixing BowlOXO Good Grips 3- Piece Wooden Utensil SetHOTEC Food Grade Silicone Rubber Spatula Set for Baking, Cooking, and Mixing High Heat Resistant Non Stick Dishwasher Safe BPA-Free Multicolor Set of 5ONECCI Baking Dish Ceramic Baking Pan Blue Casserole Dish Rectangular Baking Set 2pcs Bakeware Sets Lasagna Pan Baking Dishes for oven (Blue plasma grass)Bico Blue Talavera Stoneware Baking Dish Set, Set of 2, Large & Medium Rectangular Baking Pan Set, Lasagna Pan, Casserole Dish, Microwave, Dishwasher and Oven Safe
What Can You Serve with a Chicken Casserole?
A potato chicken casserole is a hearty dish that can be enjoyed any time of year. While it is traditionally served with a side of green beans, there are many other side dishes that can be paired with this casserole.
For a lighter option, try serving it with a simple salad. For a heartier meal, add a side of roasted vegetables or brown rice. potato chicken casserole can also be served as part of a larger spread, making it perfect for potlucks and parties.
No matter how you serve it, this dish is sure to please everyone at the table.
Should a Casserole Be Covered When Baking?
Casseroles are a classic comfort food, and there are endless variations of this dish.
Whether you’re making a potato chicken casserole or a simple mac and cheese, one question always arises: should the casserole be covered when baking?
There are pros and cons to both methods. Covering the casserole helps to trap steam, which can make the dish more moist. However, it also prevents the top from getting crispy.
If you want a golden, bubbly top on your casserole, it’s best to leave it uncovered. This will also help to prevent the sides from getting soggy.
So, ultimately, it comes down to personal preference. Do you prefer a moist, tender casserole or one with a crispy top?
Try both methods and see what you like best!
What are the Secrets to Making a Good Casserole?
Casseroles are the perfect comfort food – warm, hearty, and filling. They’re also easy to make, which is why they’re such a popular weeknight dinner option. But what are the secrets to making a truly great casserole?
For starters, you need to choose the right recipe. There are endless casserole possibilities out there, so it’s important to pick one that sounds delicious and that you know your family will enjoy.
Once you’ve found the perfect recipe, take the time to read through it carefully and make sure you understand all of the ingredients and steps involved.
This will help you avoid any surprises when you’re in the middle of making the casserole.
Another secret to making a great casserole is to use fresh, high-quality ingredients. This may seem like an obvious one, but it’s worth repeating – fresh ingredients will always taste better than ones that have been sitting in your pantry for months.
If possible, try to use local and seasonal produce in your casserole. Not only will it be more flavorful, but it will also be more nutritious.
Finally, don’t be afraid to experiment a little bit. If the recipe calls for plain old bread crumbs, try using crushed up potato chips or cereal instead.
If you’re feeling really adventurous, you could even try adding some unexpected ingredients, like fruit or chocolate chips.
The important thing is to have fun with it and not take yourself too seriously – after all, casseroles are meant to be comfort food!
Casserole Essentials from Amazon:
3Piece Casserole Dish Ceramic Baking Dish 9” x 13” Rectangular Baking Dishes for Oven Ceramic Bakeware with Handles Durable Nonstick Large Lasagna Pan for Cooking, Baking, Gradient SkyBlueCAROTE Non Stick Dutch Oven with lid, Nonstick Stock Pot Soup Pot, Granite Cooking Pot, Casserole Dish with lid, Nonstick Pot, PFOA Free(2.3-Quart, CLASSIC GRANITE)Crock-Pot 3.5 Quart Casserole Manual Slow Cooker, CharcoalLodge 3.6 Quart Enamel Cast Iron Casserole Dish with Lid (Carribbean Blue)MALACASA Bakeware Set of 4, Porcelain Baking Pans Set for Oven, Casserole Dish, Ceramic Rectangular Baking Dish Lasagna Pans for Cooking Cake Kitchen, White (9.4KOOV Ceramic Casserole Dish with Lid Oven Safe, 2 Quart Casserole Dish, Covered Round Casserole Dish Set, 9 inch Baking dish With Lid for Dinner, Deep Casserole Cookware Set, Reactive Glaze
- You can use tater tots or shredded hash browns if you don’t have diced potatoes.
- You can use plain Greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
- You can use fresh cooked bacon pieces or store bought bacon bits.
More Chicken Casserole Recipes
- Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Crockpot Casserole Chicken Green Beans and Potatoes
- Easy Chicken Divan Casserole
- Mexican Chicken Corn Casserole
I love a good chicken casserole recipe. I mean, what’s not to love? Chicken, a starch, a veggie and some cheese all in one dish.
Plus, it’s easy to make and can be a complete meal in one dish. What’s not to love about that?
I’m always on the lookout for new ideas. And luckily, there are tons of great chicken casserole recipes out there to choose from.
So if you’re looking for a new dinner idea, why not give this chicken casserole a try? I really think you will love it.
You’ll Love These Delicious Chicken Recipes
- Easy Chicken Pot Pie
- Buffalo Chicken Meatballs Recipe
- Chicken Chickpea Salad with Avocado
- Stuffed Chicken Cutlet Recipes
Freezer Meal Plans
This recipe can be a great freezer meal option, but I love having many freezer meals at my fingertips.
If you are a busy mom wanting to simplify dinner and eat a homemade meal together- freezer meal planning is what you need in your life!
Our freezer meal plans offer seven delicious meals the entire family will love. Get the grocery list, assembly instructions and recipes for seven different meals in an instant download and start making dinnertime easier immediately!
Everything can be assembled in less than an hour!
- 2 Cups Rotisserie Chicken
- 1 28 Ounce Package Frozen Potatoes or Fresh Potatoes (1 – 1 1/2 per person)
- 1 8 Ounce Carton Sour Cream
- 1 Can of Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheese (your fave!)
- 1/3 Cup Bacon Pieces (I use real but you don’t have to)
- 1/3 Cup Green Onion Chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Tablespoon Melted Butter
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
- Grease a 9x13 non-stick baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl mix together the rotisserie chicken, sour cream, frozen potatoes, cream of chicken soup, milk, 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese, half of the bacon bits, garlic powder, and pepper.
- Set remaining ingredients aside.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and drizzle with the melted butter.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with the remaining cheese, bacon bits, and green onions.
- Serve and enjoy!