Angela England is my new hero.
Amazingly brilliant does not even begin to explain her knowledge level when it comes to SEO and just building your blog period. And she seems to be pretty self taught.
She spoke last weekend at Bloggy Boot Camp. She is the creator is Untrained Housewife, she has a site for helping women learn to make money with online writing and is also the Editor in Chief of Blissfully Domestic. Angela is also the author of ebook Making Money Blogging. She does all of this while being home with her four children.
Angela absolutely inspired me. Here is what she had to say about SEO. The term I have been throwing around for the last year and my friends look at me like what the heck- she’s gone crazy.
- Google is literal. Keep this at the front of your mind as you title every post.
- SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization. In other words, when you search for words online and they lead you to a website or blog.
- Better search engine results go hand in hand with a higher Google page rank.
- Better search engine implementation on your part, means new readers will find you.
- Content on your blog is what attracts readers and a relationship is what keeps them.
- Buy your own domain– like yesterday. Get rid of blogspot and own your domain. Think about it- are you in for the long haul, or just testing the blogging waters? What is the message your domain says to your readers as well as those looking to hire you?
- Owning your domain will make you sellable and brandable.
- Google gives more weight in the search engine to owned domains.
Naturally include keyword rich links in your posts. Don’t make it sound forced.
Do not type the words click here and link something. This is not an effective method for linking.
Use ALT tag in your images. Give your photos names and captions. (I have not done this well at all….)
Search Google to find keywords in your niche and use those keywords in your post. When searching Google for keywords put ” ” around the word you are searching.
Also use the Google Keyword External Tool.
Use keyword search results to brainstorm new article ideas to write about.
Read Anglea’s post about Interlinking and Crosslinking SEO to Improve Rankings.