Western Casserole Recipe
This easy ground beef casserole is a delicious, fuss-free meal for busy weeknights. With just a few simple ingredients and easy steps, you’ll have a tasty Western Casserole on the table in no time. Plus, it’s great for using up leftover brown rice and beans. To top it all off, add a sprinkle of shredded cheese and diced tomatoes for an extra-special touch. Don’t hesitate – give this easy recipe a try tonight!
Making dinner doesn’t have to be a complicated affair – with some delicious Easy Recipes, you can whip up something delicious in no time! Few kitchen creations are more satisfying than creating a beautiful dish entirely from scratch – and luckily, with the right recipes, even beginner cooks can access the joys of home-cooked meals. From casseroles to tacos to homemade pasta sauces – there’s an easy recipe out there for just about anything.
Ingredients Needed for This Recipe
Here’s what you need to make this easy weeknight meal!
- Ground Beef– One of the best types of ground beef to use for making a classic western casserole dish is coarse ground chuck. This type of beef has a high fat content, which adds juicy flavor and also helps bind together your ingredients inside the casserole.
- Olive Oil– Sautéing beef is a key step in preparing a delicious western casserole. While it might be tempting to skip the olive oil and just throw the beef into the pan, cooking with olive oil adds a hint of richness and flavor to the finished dish.
- Garlic– Garlic is one of the most popular ingredients in western casseroles. Its pungent taste and fragrant aroma add a unique flavor to any dish, and it has the added benefit of being incredibly good for you!
- Taco Seasoning– Adding taco seasoning to a western casserole is the perfect way to give it a delicious kick! The blend of spices, including chili pepper and cumin, creates an unbeatable flavor. Because of its intense flavor, a little bit goes a long way in adding that southwestern flair.
- Brown Rice– If you’re looking for a healthy and tasty option to include in your next casserole dish, then why not switch out white rice for brown rice? Brown rice is much healthier than its white counterpart, as it still retains all of the grain’s nutritious bran and germ layers.
- Red Kidney Beans– Red Kidney beans are the perfect addition to any western-style casserole. Not only are they high in fiber, antioxidants, and other vitamins and minerals, but they also bring a delicious, creamy texture and earthy flavor to the dish.
- Diced Red Tomatoes– Diced Red Tomatoes are a great addition to any western casserole. Their bright, juicy flavor adds an extra layer of taste and texture to the dish, while their colorful hues bring vibrancy and life to the plate.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese– Shredded cheddar cheese makes an excellent addition to a western-style casserole. Its delicious flavor and creamy texture can take the dish from lackluster to mouthwatering. Plus, the shreds of cheese melt quickly in the oven, providing a delightful cheesy coating over any ingredients included in the recipe.
- Salt and Pepper– Salt and Pepper are essential ingredients when preparing a western-style casserole. They not only add a much-needed kick of flavor, but they have the power to bring out other subtle tastes in the mix.
Cooking Essentials from Amazon:
Meigui Enameled Cast Iron Skillet Chef’s Classic 10 Inch Round Fry Pan for Kitchen, Camping Indoor and Outdoor Cooking, Frying, Searing and Baking (Cherry Red)Mercer Culinary Cast Iron Skillet, 12-InchKitchenAid Universal Bamboo Tools, 12-InchHOTEC Food Grade Silicone Rubber Spatula Set for Baking, Cooking, and Mixing High Heat Resistant Non Stick Dishwasher Safe BPA-Free Multicolor Set of 5STAUB Ceramics Rectangular Baking Dish, 13×9-inch, Dark BluePyrex Deep 9×13-Inch Glass Baking Dish with Lid, Deep Casserole Dish, Glass Food Container, Oven, Freezer and Microwave Safe, Clear Container
Can This Western Casserole Be Made Ahead of Time?
Enjoying a delicious Western casserole for a weeknight dinner can be so satisfying, but who has the time to make it during the work/school week? The good news is that this western casserole can be made ahead of time! All you have to do is assemble the ingredients, pop it in the oven and voilà: a healthy, delicious and comforting meal ready for you when you get home.
With advance preparation, there’s no need to worry about spending hours after work slaving away in the kitchen; just pull out your pre-made casserole, heat it up and your meal is served. Making this casserole ahead of time is an especially great tip if you know your schedule is going to be hectic one night. It’s a simple fix, but it makes all the difference in making sure you eat a satisfying meal any day of the week!
How Long Does This Casserole Last in the Fridge?
Cooking with ground beef can be both convenient and delicious! If you have made a ground beef casserole, however, you may be wondering how long you can store it in the fridge. Generally speaking, a casserole containing cooked ground beef should remain safe to eat for up to four days after preparation. You should also ensure that your cooked ground beef casserole is stored at 4 degrees or below and served at 65 degrees.
It’s also important to remember that food left at room temperature for more than 2 hours must not be consumed – so don’t wait too long before popping it in the fridge! All in all, properly stored ground beef casserole should remain fresh and delicious for up to four days in the fridge.
Can I Substitute Ground Turkey for Ground Beef in this Western Casserole?
Substituting ground turkey for ground beef in your Western casserole is a great way to make your meal both healthier and less expensive! Ground turkey typically has fewer calories and less saturated fat, so you can enjoy a delicious dinner without compromising on nutrition. Keep in mind that this switch may change the flavor and texture of your casserole slightly; some people find that turkey is more mild and tender when cooked than beef.
Other suggested substitutes include soy crumbles, tempeh, and mushrooms, so feel free to experiment with different ingredients and discover the version of your Western casserole that you like best!
Casserole Essentials from Amazon:
LUNCIA Insulated Casserole Carrier for Hot or Cold Food, Lasagna Lugger Tote for Potluck Parties/Picnic/Cookouts, Fits 9Lodge EC3CC43 Enameled Cast Iron Covered Casserole, 3-Quart, Island Spice RedSTAUB Ceramics Rectangular Baking Dish Set, Casserole Dish, Baking Pans for Lasagna, Cake, 2-Piece, Rustic TurquoiseSuperior Glass Casserole Dish with lid – 2-Piece Glass Bakeware And Glass Food-Storage Set – 100% Leakproof Casserole Dish set with Hinged BPA-Free Locking lids – Freezer-to-Oven-Safe Baking-Dish Set.Potholders Set Trivets Set 100% Pure Cotton Thread Weave Hot Pot Holders Set (Set of 3) Stylish Coasters, Hot Pads, Hot Mats,Spoon Rest For Cooking and Baking by Diameter 7 Inches (Gray)KitchenAid Vitrified Stoneware Rectangular Baker with Lid/Trivet, 4.5-Quart, Pistachio
More Easy Recipes You’ll Love!
- Easy Recipes: Tex Mex Stuffed Bell Peppers (with Quinoa)
- Easy Recipes: 15 Bean Soup
- Easy Recipes: Simple Spanish Rice
- Easy Recipes: Cranberry Apple Butter Chicken
Try These Other Delicious Casseroles!
- Easy Chicken Potato Casserole
- Easy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole The Kids Love
- Cheesy Chili Pasta Casserole
- Vegetarian Black Bean Enchilada Casserole
This easy ground beef casserole is perfect for a weeknight meal. With just a few simple ingredients, you can have dinner on the table in no time.
- 1 Pound of Ground Beef
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Clove of Garlic, minced
- 1 Packet Taco Seasoning
- 3 Cups of Dry Brown Rice (cooked as the instructions indicate)
- 2 Cans of Red Kidney Beans, drained
- 1 Can of Diced Red Tomatoes, undrained
- 1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Start your rice. This takes the longest to cook so get it going.
- Meanwhile, brown the ground beef in a skillet with the olive oil and garlic. Add the taco seasoning.
- (If you're wanting to cut the flavor down a bit, omit the taco seasoning and just season the meat with salt and pepper and cook the rice in chicken broth. This will add a milder flavor without it being overly bland.)
- Add the drained kidney beans and the undrained diced tomatoes to the skillet. Mix well.
- Continue to cook over a simmering heat and let all of the flavors come together.
- When the rice is done add it to the skillet and mix everything up well.
- Pour the meat and rice mixture into a 9x13 casserole dish.
- Top with the shredded cheese.
- Add it to a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes, or until the cheese melts.
- Serve with some avocado slices and chips and salsa.
Perfect family meal! Thanks for coming and linking up at The Weekend Social. All posts get pinned in our pinterest board! Please be sure to come back next week starting Thursdays at 9PM EST on culinaryflavors.gr ! I hope to see you there!
This looks yummy!
This looks so good! I’m happy to say that I’ll be featuring this at Thursday Favorite Things today. 🙂 The new party start time is 10:00 Central.