Are you looking for an easy and delicious dinner idea? Look no further than this Easy Sloppy Joe Recipe! This classic dish is easy to prepare, requires minimal ingredients, and can be ready in less than 30 minutes. Plus, it’s a great meal that can feed a crowd – perfect for big family gatherings or potluck dinners. Try this easy Sloppy Joe recipe and you’ll be sure to make it again and again!
If you’re looking to make something warm and comforting on a cold night, then it’s time to break out the Recipes for Sloppy Joes. Not only is it easy to make, but its hearty mixture of ground beef, tomato sauce, and other seasonings will have your family coming back for seconds. Best of all, sloppy joes can be customized with whatever toppings your people desire — from lettuce and cheese to bacon and jalapeños; there’s no wrong way to enjoy this American classic!
Ingredients Needed for this Recipe
Here’s what you need for this easy meal!
- Ground Beef– When it comes to making an easy Sloppy Joe recipe, the kind of ground beef you choose matters. The best beef for hearty and flavorful Sloppy Joe’s is a combination of ground chuck and sirloin, as that mixture usually offers the perfect balance between flavor and texture.
- Olive Oil– Olive Oil is an excellent choice for Easy Sloppy Joe Recipe because it has a mild, buttery flavor that enhances the robustness of the ground beef and other ingredients in this dish. Additionally, Olive Oil is lower in saturated fat than other commonly used oils like vegetable or canola oil.
- Garlic– Garlic is a great addition to any easy Sloppy Joe recipe, especially one that’s quick and requires minimal ingredients. The savory, pungent flavor of garlic not only adds incredible depth of flavor but enhances the other flavors present in this dish as well.
- Chopped Onion– Chopped onion adds a great flavor to any Sloppy Joe recipe. Not only does it add texture and flavor, but also just the right amount of sweetness. On top of that, chopped onions help give the mixture a nice thick consistency that provides a delicious contrast to the juicy sweet sauce!
- Bell Pepper– If you want to take your classic Sloppy Joe recipe to the next level, adding bell pepper is definitely the way to do it! The addition of bell pepper adds an extra layer of flavor and texture. Bell pepper has a mild and sweet taste that works perfectly with all the flavors found in a Sloppy Joe.
- Brown Sugar– Brown sugar is a fantastic ingredient in easy Sloppy Joe recipes. It adds that something extra to the flavor profile and brings out notes of sweet molasses, honey, and caramel that you didn’t even know were there.
- Chili Powder– Sloppy Joe’s are one of America’s favorite comfort foods and adding chili powder to the easy recipe is an easy way to amp up the flavor. Chili powder brings a nice smoky heat that gives an extra kick without being too spicy, while also adding some earthiness as well.
- Dry Mustard– Dry mustard is an excellent ingredient for making Sloppy Joes – it provides a delicious bite of heat and savoriness that elevates the finished product to something truly special. It adds complexity to the flavor, as well as bonus amounts of tangy, zesty goodness.
- Worcestershire Sauce– Worcestershire sauce brings a unique and unmistakably flavorful addition to a classic Sloppy Joe recipe. Not only does it give the dish a pleasant tangy taste, but it adds umami that’s hard to come by in other condiments. Its rich and earthy flavors combine with the sweetness of ketchup and tomato paste, further balancing out all the spices used in your Sloppy Joe mixture.
- Tomato Sauce– Tomato sauce takes the Easy Sloppy Joe Recipe to the next level! It adds a robust flavor to the sandwich, kicking it up a notch. Tomato sauce also helps bind all of the flavors in the ingredients together for an even more enjoyable meal.
- Salt and Pepper– Salt and pepper make the perfect addition to an easy Sloppy Joe recipe. Used together, they enhance the flavor of a dish without overpowering it. It’s almost like adding a boost of flavor without needing any additional ingredients!
- Hamburger Buns– To put it simply, hamburger buns are the perfectly complementary vessel for all your Sloppy Joe needs. They have just the right amount of softness to absorb the juicy, spicy goodness of the sandwich filling, while staying sturdy enough to not fall apart as you make your way from bun to mouth.
- Butter– What most don’t realize is that butter not only provides superior flavor and texture to the overall dish, but its consistency also helps to keep sloppy joes in place on a burger. By allowing butter to melt and absorb slightly into the bun, it keeps everything in check instead of the sauce dripping down your arm while you take a bite.
Cooking Essentials from Amazon
Utopia Kitchen 12 Inch Pre-Seasoned Cast iron Skillet – Frying Pan – Safe Grill Cookware for indoor & Outdoor Use – Chef’s Pan – Cast Iron Pan (Black)OXO Good Grips Large Wooden Spoon, BeechKitchenAid Classic Slotted Turner, One Size, Black 2, 13.66-InchChef Craft Select Serving Spoon, 9.5 inch, Stainless SteelS·KITCHN Cast Aluminum Griddle Pan for Stovetop with Lid – Lighter than Cast Iron Skillet,Round Frying Pans Nonstick Grill Pan Dishwasher & Oven Safe,12INSENSARTE 12 Inch Nonstick Deep Frying Pan,5 Qt Non Stick Saute Pan with Lid,Large Skillet Pan,NonStick Jumbo Cooker,Cooking Pan Chefs Pan Cookware for All Stove Tops,Induction Compatible,PFOA Free
What is Sloppy Joe Sauce Made Of?
Sloppy Joe sauce, a savory mix of spices, is a delicious blend of ground meat, onion and bell pepper stirred in with a tangy combination of tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce. The result is an easy dinner staple that is ideal for piling onto buns or serving up with fries. To give it that signature kick, some cooks add chili powder, garlic powder, and brown sugar to the mix.
Be creative and experiment with the ingredients according to your taste: you can substitute beef for turkey for healthier option or sprinkle in paprika for some heat. With a Sloppy Joe in hand, your relaxed dinner plans are sure to be a hit!
Where Does the Sloppy Joe Come From?
The Sloppy Joe is one of those classic recipes that every American knows and loves! It traditionally consists of ground beef, tomato sauce, and spices – yum! But have you ever wondered where the dish comes from? Well, there’s a bit of debate on its origins.
While some argue that it was created at a cafe in Iowa in the 1930s, others say the Sloppy Joe has Mexican roots from around the same time. Regardless, it’s still an iconic meal that has been enjoyed for decades!
What’s a Good Side Dish with Sloppy Joes?
Sloppy Joes are a delicious and hearty meal, but what’s the best side dish to accompany them? Potatoes are always a great option – french fries, mashed potatoes, potato chips, the possibilities are endless. If you’re looking for something healthier and lighter, then why not try some steamed vegetables like cauliflower or broccoli?
Even pasta salad is a good way to add an extra layer of flavor while still keeping things nice and light. Whatever side you choose, it will make your Sloppy Joes even better!
Sandwich Making Accessories from Amazon
Revolution Panini Press accessory for toasters. Make grilled cheese, paninis, quesadillas and more in your toaster. Perfectly melts and crisps. Safe and easy to clean.Smash Burger Press – Heavy Duty Hamburger Press w/ Heat Resistant Handle – Cast Iron Grill Press, Bacon Press, Sandwich Press – Round Burger Smasher for Griddle – Meat Press – BBQ Grilling AccessoriesHULISEN Stainless Steel Bacon Press, 9 Inch Large Heavy Duty Burger Press with Wood Handle, Non-stick Grill Press for Griddle, Steak Weight Griddle BBQ Accessories for Panini, Sandwiches, Gift PackageChefman Electric Panini Press Grill and Gourmet Sandwich Maker w/ Non-Stick Coated Plates, Opens 180 Degrees to Fit Any Type or Size Food, Dishwasher Safe Removable Drip Tray, Stainless Steel/BlackPanini Press by Cuisinart, Stainless Steel Griddler, Sandwich Maker & More, 5-IN-1, GR-4NP1Elite Gourmet ESM2207 Nonstick Electric Sandwich Panini Maker Grilled Cheese Machine Tuna Melt Omelets Non-Stick Surface, 2 Slice, Black
You’ll Love These Other Recipes for Sloppy Joes!
- How to Make Crockpot Sloppy Joes
- Hearty Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
- Crock Pot Cheesy Salsa Sloppy Joes
- Super Easy Sloppy Joes
More Easy Hot Sandwich Recipes
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork Sandwiches
- Ultimate Bacon and Egg Sandwich
- Easy Recipes: Turkey Bacon Sharp Cheddar Sandwich
- Easy Mediterranean Recipe: Breakfast Sandwich
- 2 Pounds Ground Beef
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Small/Medium Onion, chopped
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Dry Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 (14 Ounce) Can Tomato Sauce
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Hamburger Buns
- Butter, for toasting the buns
- In a large skillet add the olive oil, garlic, beef and salt and pepper.
- Add in the bell pepper and onion.
- Cook over medium heat until brown.
- Once the meat is brown add in the spices and brown sugar.
- Add in the Worcestershire sauce.
- Stir the meat to combine.
- Add in the can of tomato sauce.
- Mix everything together well and let the flavors come together over medium heat for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the sloppy joe meat from the stove and grab your griddle.
- Turn the heat up to high and add some butter to your griddle.
- Place the buns face down on the griddle and toast until brown.
- Add a heaping of sloppy joe mixture to the buns.