This letter of the week craft for preschoolers is just perfect as you are teaching the letter I.
I is for Ice Cream is such a fun way to learn this letter.
SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM TO DOWNLOAD THE TEMPLATE!
- a letter I printed onto brown paper (scroll to the bottom to download)
- three paper scoops of ice cream cut from colored construction paper
- glue sticks
- school glue (not pictured – we didn’t realize we’d need it until it came time to glue the buttons!)
- 3 red buttons or mini pom poms
- white construction paper
1. Draw lines on the letter I to resemble an ice cream cone. Your child will do this according to his age/ability level. My daughter, who is just finishing kindergarten, drew criss-cross lines on her I.
My four-year-old tried to draw criss-cross lines but got frustrated. After we cut it out, he drew more of a checkered pattern on the other side.
My little guy, who just turned three, colored his I. (I know it’s really scribbling, but he doesn’t :).)
2. After cutting out the I and gluing it to the white construction paper, add the scoops of ice cream to the top.
3. Put a dot of school glue at the top of each ice cream scoop. Add the red buttons for cherries. Something else you could do is to spread glue on the scoops of ice cream and shake real sprinkles on them. Shake off the extra, let it dry, and you have an extra-special craft.
And here they are!
RHYME FOR LETTER I:
It’s pretty tough to find a rhyme for letter I, but kids loves this one:
We all scream
For ICE CREAM!
NURSERY RHYME FOR LETTER I:
Itsy bitsy spider
Went up the water spout.
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun
And dried up all the rain.
And itsy bitsy spider
Went up the spout again.
BOOKS TO READ FOR LETTER I:
Itsy Bitsy Spider, by Iza Trapani
If your child likes the Itsy Bitsy Spider song, she’ll love this book with five additional verses! Highly recommended.
Imogene’s Antlers, by David Small
Kids love this silly story about a girl named Imogene who wakes up one day excited to find that she has a full set of antlers. Her mother panics, or brother consults the encyclopedia, and her principal is not amused. Lots of crazy fun!
For more learning ideas for the letter I, visit here.
OTHER LETTER OF THE WEEK CRAFTS:
- A is for Alligator
- B is for Butterfly
- C is for Car
- D is for Doghouse
- E is for Eagle
- F is for Frog
- G is for Goat
- H is for House
LETTER OF THE WEEK SNACKS:
- A is for Airplane (graham cracker airplanes)
- B is for Butterfly (grape butterflies)
- C is for Car (apple cars)
- D is for Dirt (dirt cups)
- E is for Eggs (candy eggs)
- F is for Fishing (cupcakes)