One of the biggest keys for a smooth evening is ensuring that you have a plan when it comes to dinner. Right now, we are working hard to make healthier choices when it comes to eating and this week I am excited to share our low carb weekly meal plan with you.
NEED TO SAVE MONEY
ON YOUR GROCERY BILL?
While you’re here make sure you check out our large family meal planning ideas. We have something for everyone!
I know some folks might be doing the keto diet or they might just be counting their carbs per day to ensure they can succeed on their weight loss journey.
OVOS Salad Spinner Large 5 Quarts Fruits and Vegetables Dryer Quick Dry Design BPA Free Dry off and Drain Lettuce and Vegetable with Ease for Tastier Salads and Faster Food PrepBrieftons 7-Blade Spiralizer: Strongest-and-Heaviest Duty Vegetable Spiral Slicer, Best Veggie Pasta Spaghetti Maker for Low Carb/Paleo/Gluten-Free, With Container, Lid, Blade Caddy & 4 Recipe Ebooks
Personally, I am not doing Keto right now, but a different plan that is really forcing me to evaluate my food intake and avoid foods that are high in carbs and eat more lean proteins.
In turn, it’s impacting my entire family in a positive way, which makes us all happy.
Low carb meals include things like ground turkey, chicken, lean ground beef, salmon or shrimp and eliminating all starchy vegetables.
4 Piece Black and White Farmhouse Country Kitchen Linen Set – 2 Towels, Oven Mitt and Pocket Pot HolderAutumn Alley Barn Door Rustic Kitchen Utensil Holder- Farmhouse Wooden Kitchen Utensil Holder- Galvanized Accents- Rustic Kitchen Decor- Farmhouse Details Add Charm to your Country Kitchen
Healthy Low Carb Meal Plan
I’ve been eating low carb now since mid-December. I am seeing a difference and really excited to these results to continue.
That said, I am still working to create more of my own recipes. I’ve found many online that I tweak and adjust according to my taste.
Here are the recipes I will be making this week. I will tell you what we are serving with these recipes and how I plan to make the recipes my own.
Here is what’s on our menu for this week:
- Low Carb Tex Mex Cauliflower Chicken Bake – this is a meal I’ve but tried yet, but Im super excited to make it. The entire family should like it just the way it is.
- Tex Mex Stuffed Zucchini Boats – I made 5 pounds of ground turkey taco meat over the weekend and we only used half of it. The other half will be used for this and I will make some Tex Mex cauliflower rice on the side. Did you know you can make taco meat in the Instant Pot?
- Low Carb Turkey BBQ Meatballs– super excited to try these. I am going to use a Sugar Free BBQ sauce I found a few weeks ago at Sam’s. It’s super good.
- Baked Salmon– my husband makes this using fresh salmon, topped with a small amount of olive oil on top, minced garlic, Mrs. Dash and some Sazon. Sometimes we add fresh squeezed lemon if we have it on hand. You might like this lime baked salmon if you’re looking for something new to try. You would need to omit the butter if you’re eating low carb.
- Low Carb White Chicken Chili– using a rotisserie chicken we have in the fridge. This sounds awesome. Want a more traditional chili recipe and you’re not worried about the starches? Try our bean and meat chili recipe.
- Low Carb Spaghetti Squash Lasagna Casserole– eager to try this too. I will make some modifications like plain ground turkey that I will add some Italian seasoning to and reduced fat cottage cheese instead of ricotta.
- Grilled Steaks– yes, you can have steaks when watching what you eat. I am going to make cauliflower mashed potatoes as a side. I buy the ones from Trader Joe’s that are frozen. I really like them.
Simple Houseware 6 Pack Freezer Storage Organizer24-Piece Superior Glass Food Storage Containers Set – Newly Innovated Hinged BPA-free Locking lids – 100% Leakproof Glass Meal-Prep Containers, Great On-the-Go & Freezer-to-Oven-Safe Food Containers
Grocery Shopping for Low Carb Items
I am still doing most of my grocery shopping at Sam’s and Costco. There are some things I am buying from Trader Joe’s that I really love, like jicama wraps.
Both Costco and Sam’s carry ground turkey, but I like the texture of the ground turkey at Sam’s better and I buy it in bulk. And let me tell you, I never dreamed in a million years I would ever like ground turkey. It’s been an adjustment, but we are used to it and everyone eats it.
We are also eating lots of chicken, so I am still buying my frozen chicken breasts at Costco or Sam’s in bulk.
Many of my fresh vegetables are coming from Sam’s and Costco as well. I get Romain Hearts from either of these places, as well as frozen riced cauliflower, fresh zucchini, avocados, frozen broccoli, fresh asparagus, cherry tomatoes and bell peppers.
A few other foods I’ve had to learn to switch out is absolutely no more sweet tea, which is hard for this Southern Girl. Now it’s strictly water (usually with lime) or a Crystal Light (the raspberry lemonade is my favorite).
Letting go of my sugary coffee creamer has been hard too. Now it’s Splenda with half and half, but honestly, my tastebuds are adjusting.
And tortillas… they have been so hard to let go of (we love our breakfast tacos), but lettuce wraps and jicama wraps have been something I’ve gotten used to.
There are some things I am also buying from time to time using Walmart Grocery Pickup when I am in between my Costco or Sam’s trips.
Is a Low Carbohydrate Diet Safe for Kids?
My kids are not eating low carb 100% by any stretch of the imagination.
But, when I cook my one lean and green meal each day (dinner) I cook a meal we all eat. So, while they might still have regular waffles for breakfast and then a turkey sandwich for lunch, dinner is the meal where they are eating lower carb.
They still do eat dinner rolls with some meals and regular tortillas when we are having tacos, but my meals are prepared 100% no sugar and low carb and lean protein.
While they might eat sour cream on top of their taco, I’m using plain greek yogurt instead and we are all eating ground turkey for the meat.
Whole30 Is Also an Option
Whole30 is not what I am doing right now, but it is an option that allows people to clean their systems out, eliminate starches and get a fresh start on cleaner, healthier eating.
If you’re looking to make a change, this might be a great option for you.
This is a printable cookbook we made a few years back that has thirty different recipes that can all be made in the slow cooker and they are all Whole30.