I have been using essential oils for a month in our home and it is changing my life.
I am on my way to making a chemical free home and cleaning out our medicine cabinets. One oil that is allowing me to do this is peppermint.
What I love about the therapeutic grade essential oil that use, is the fact that they are 100% natural and from a plant. There are no perfumes or synthetics in the oils I use. They can be consumed, diffused and used topically. The kind I buy never expire either!
Here are 10 peppermint oil uses that I am doing in my home.
10 Peppermint Oil Uses
- Cooling– rub a few drops on the bottom of your feet to help cool the body and regulate body temperature.
- Hiccups– here is a natural remedy for something that happens to us all! Apply a drop of peppermint on each side of the fifth cervical vertebra. This is up three notches from the large vertebra at the base of the neck.
- Bruising– apply peppermint immediately to a bruised area (that is not an open sore) to lessen bruising and the pain.
- Headache– to relieve headache put a drop of peppermint on the temples, the base of the neck, over the sinus areas and on the forehead. You can also put a drop on your thumbs and press it on the roof of your mouth to relieve a headache.
- Bug Repellent– make a homemade spray to keep mosquito at bay using peppermint and purification with water in a spray bottle. Also, ants hate peppermint. If you have ants in your house (like around the sinks in the summer time) use a couple of drops of peppermint in a spray bottle with water and a pinch of Epson salt. Ants hate peppermint.
- Natural Flavoring– add it to your water, cook with it (add a few drops your your cookies or brownies when you’re mixing them up) or add a few drops to your coffee or tea.
- Nausea– rub a couple of drops of peppermint on your abdomen to relieve nausea.
- Indigestion, Gas and Heartburn– rub 4-6 drops of oil in the palm of your hand and then rub it over your stomach and around your belly button. My husband does this one all the time!
- Paint Fumes– add a 15 ml bottle of peppermint to a 5 gallon bucket of paint and the fumes will be gone.
- Concentration– having issues staying alert at home or school (or while doing homeschool)? Place two drops of peppermint on the tongue and one drop under the nose to improve alertness and concentration.
You can go here to buy essential oils online and use them in your home every day too!
These are the ways we are incorporating oils into our home. I also love to put a few drops of peppermint in the diffuser. Mix it with a few drops of orange and it is really yummy!
MORE HOMEMADE TUTORIALS USING ESSENTIAL OILS
You can use peppermint essential oil in any of these homemade tutorials.