Summer has arrived! If your kids are like mine they are trying to pack everything into one week. Virtually impossible.
Somewhere in all of the hustle and bustle of summer time, R & R and fun activities for kids, we have to squeeze in some reading time. Reading for some amazing books children must read this summer?
My boys love trips to the library and its fun to watch them each pick out books on topics they are interested in. Reading is so vital and important for kids and adults. Reading is fun, interesting, and captivating building vocabulary skills, comprehension, and imagination.
NO MORE MELTDOWNS AT THE LIBRARY!
Check out our summer reading bucket list for all different ages!
Reading List Ages 3-5:
1. Bugs in My Hair is a hilarious tale of head lice, although it sounds gross the book is humorous!
2. Encourage your kids to explore the world with this book of My Five Senses.
3. Its a noisy day at the barnyard in Meow Said The Cow and other hilarious animal sounds.
4. Chicken Little says the Sky is Falling and your kids will enjoy this tale.
5. This hilarious adventure of Ten Pigs: An Epic Bath Adventure ends in a squeaky clean twist.
6. This sweet story of If You Take A Mouse To School explains the needy expectations of a sweet mouse.
7. Pete the Cat: Pete At The Beach is a first level reader with a super cute story line perfect for early readers.
8. This Dr. Seuss Beginner Book Edition has all of the Dr. Seuss favorites and a great for bedtimes.
9. Your kids will love hearing the importance of sharing in this cute storybook Llama Llama Time To Share.
10. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is full of lively rhymes and alphabet fun as they race up the coconut tree.
Reading List Ages 6-8:
1. This cute book of Flat Stanley includes a tale of a boy who is smashed flat by a bulletin board and his adventures!
2. The young easy readers of this Junie B. Jones Series will have you kids laughing and building grammar skills.
3. Get your kids interested in all things weather related with National Geographic Weather full of fun facts, interesting photographs, and other stuff that will blow them away!
4. Your kids will love this imaginative book of What If You Had Animal Teeth where they can imagine having teeth of different animals and discover fun information about animals.
5. Check out Living Sunlight: How Plants Bring The Earth To Life with awesome facts about why plants are so important and a journey of why energy is important.
6. The history of the underground railroad is told in Henry’s Freedom Box: A True Story of the Underground Railroad that includes a sweet story and longing for freedom.
7. The powerful story of Lon Po Po includes a version of Little Red Riding Hood from China with amazing illustrations and a captivating tale.
8. Discover the amazing things and cool fun facts that happen While You Were Sleeping.
9. Capture all of the humor, awkwardness, and fun of Star Wars: Jedi Academy in a galaxy far, far away.
10. This boxed bonanza of the Judy Moody Series includes all 9 books for tons of reading enjoyment!
Reading List Ages 9-12:
1. The adventures in this collection Harry Potter Series never get old and will have your young reader occupied in this stunning and spellbinding saga.
2. This book A Handful of Stars explores the friendship of a young girl and migrant workers.
3. Brush up on the historical events, facts, and presidential information of all of the presidents to date in National Geographic: Our Country’s Presidents.
4. There is big adventure in the Big Nate Triple Play that includes 3 awesome books!
5. James grows the wonder of a giant peach with magic crystals in this exciting tale of James and the Giant Peach.
6. Diary of a Wimpy Kid books series are a popular hit with stories of the woes of middle school for one silly boy.
7. Ghosts in the Fog: The Untold Story of Alaska’s WWII includes amazing facts of the Japanese invasion of Alaska in this riveting tale.
8. This award winning piece Titanic: Voices From the Disaster is great read for kids with a woven story of the tragic moments of this ship.
9. Lawless is an action packed adventure that breaks the rules to save the world through mystery and excitement.
10. A story of three sisters who travel to meet the mother who abandoned them in One Crazy Summer with fun adventure and things they never expected.
Reading List Tweens and Teens:
1. American Born Chinese is a story of a young Chinese-American student who wants to be himself including his heritage.
2. The chilling tale of Trapped includes the struggles of keeping warm and staying alive in a week long snow storm.
3. The notable Social Studies book Wheels of Change: How Women Rode the Bicycle to Freedom tells of how women were liberated and improved their lives.
4. The true crime thriller Lincoln’s Grave Robbers tells the attempt to steal Abraham Lincoln’s body.
5. The Hunger Games Trilogy is a hit with thrilling attempts at survival, life, and love.
6. The contemporary classic of Hatchet is full of page turning, heart stopping adventure.
7. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is a powerful and unsettling story during the Holocaust.
8. In the blink of an eye the world of one girl totally changes after an accident in If I Stay.
9. This book Endangered tells the story of a girl fighting to save herself and a group of bonobos from violence.
10. The Book Thief includes an extraordinary tale of a girl in Munich, Germany in the late 1930’s who can not resists books that encourage her love for reading.
What is on your summer reading bucket list? Please share your favorites!
Don’t miss these bedtime stories for kids too!