10 Activities for 2 Year Olds to Keep Them Busy {and Happy} in the Car

Finding age appropriate activities for 2-year-olds is sometimes a challenge.  As we all know, they have a short attention span and even when you find something that works once, there is no 2-year-old activity guarantee that it will work again!

Come to think of it, wouldn’t a 2-year-old activities guarantee be great?

activities for 2-year-olds in the car

Traveling with a Two year old can be especially challenging.  Their naturally wiggly bodies are strapped into a car seat for an undisclosed amount of time.

Car Activities for 2-Year-Olds

Since we have already arrived at the idea that no ONE activity will always be the answer, today I am presenting 10…just in case the first nine don’t work for YOUR child!

1.  Try listening to some new music or even playing an audio book.  Did you know many of your children’s favorite books are in audio form?  Audible.com has a whole section of books for ages 0-4!

2.  Let them zone out with some app time.  There are many great educational apps out there for to download for free on your iPod, iPad or Android device.

3.  Play some games like what’s missing?  Have your little one close their eyes and then hide something.  When they open their eyes they have to guess what disappeared.

4.  Bring along a new coloring book.  There are lots of great on the go lap desks and crayon carriers that are perfect for coloring on the road.

5.  Learn more about your kids by playing 20 questions.  Come up with some easy, toddler questions like If you could be a superhero, which one would you be?

6.  Blow bubbles out the windows when you are on roads with lower speeds.

7.  Surprise them with a mystery bag.  Fill a bag with little items from the dollar store or even from around the house and let them dig in.  You can also make it more fun by having them guess what’s inside.

8.  Let them color on the windows of the car with window markers.  Don’t worry – it all washes off!

9.  Bring a box of books for them to flip through and look at.  Mom and dad can crawl back and read a few as well.

10.  If all else fails, you can always watch movies.  Bring along your portable DVD player and rent lots of new movies.

More Activities for 2-Year-Olds

Check out several summer activities for kids that can be modified to include the toddler set like DIY Bird Feeder and Love Bug Rocks.

Also, there is a massive list of 40+ Activities for Two year Olds over at Kids Activities Blog.

Holly Homer is a mom blogger of 3 boys who tries to keep them busy and out of trouble by thinking up new things to do at Kids Activities Blog.

Comments

1. Alena says

I bought a travel magna doodle last year for my 2 year old daughter and that kept her occupied. We take it almost everywhere with us. I also packed old cell phones and would pull them out at different times. We tried using the magnet book, which she loved, but she kept losing the pieces.

Coloring on the windows sounds like so much fun. My little girl is pretty good for even moderately long rides, but has a “motion sensor”, as my husband calls it, when we’re stopped. She gets fussy pretty fast when waiting around in the car with just one of us when the other pops into the supermarket or runs errands. Thanks so much for the tips! I’m visiting you today from Works for Me Weds. Have a great week!

I think I need to get a lap board for my two year old to use in the car. I think he would really enjoy coloring or drawing on the road.

4. Jana says

I have a CD in my car that turns my daughters mood around instantly. We have to pull it out even on trips to another city in the metroplex. She’s a Raffi girl!

Nothing keeps our toddler entertained like the iPad. She can play games, look at books, watch movies, and listen to music. It’s nice to have while on long road trips.

6. Lesley says

I love stickers for my little guy. He also enjoys little cars or stuffed animals. I have a buckle toy that works often, too. Books are my favorite, though.

It is really a great post and thanks for your sharing! I will be using it for my son very soon! I often take my portable dvd player for my son.

These are great for younger ages and older ages! Thanks so much for the fun ideas!

Thanks so much for linking up with us over at Tell Me About It Tuesday! We hope to see you linking up more great posts with us this week too!

9. Ellie says

Thank you so much for sharing! We are taking a road trip and trying to find ways to keep my kiddos busy.

1. […] Crystal & Co. – 10 Activities for 2 Year Olds in the Car […]