Every week a new letter if on our learning menu. We like to keep things exciting and interesting when it comes to learning the letters of the alphabet!
This week we are learning all about letter/x/. We are always doing new projects, reading, and developing a love for learning throughout all of it!
When it comes to learning there is nothing better than a fun snack to go right along with the fun! X is for xylophone and a xylophone is just what we whipped up for snack time and my kids LOVED it! This is how we did this one.
You will need:
- 1-2 loaves of angel food cake (we found it over in the produce section by the strawberries)
- pretzel sticks
- mini marshmallows
- M&M candies
- white or vanilla frosting
- food coloring
The first step in the snack is to slice up the angel food cake. We started by cutting the cake through the middle length wise. Angel food cake can be really think! We then made 4-5 sliced cuts to make smaller cakes.
Next you want to place your food coloring into separate bowls to add the food coloring. For this snack we are using just the basic colors of yellow, red, blue, and green. When you use traditional food coloring the icing is kind of pastel which is totally fine. You could also use gel food coloring for a richer color.
Once your icing is mixed into the 4 colors begin piping a strip of each color onto the angel food cake top. We started with red but you could go in your own order. You would be surprised at how easy it is to pipe icing from sandwich bags. No need for fancy piping bags. Just move the icing to the corner of the bag and cut the tip off.
Top your colored icing with the M&M candies. This just adds to making it look like a xylophone
Take 2 mini marshmallows and add them to the end of the pretzel sticks. You can’t make music on a xylophone without these!
Now serve it up! This one was super exciting to eat and of course there were a few moments of pretend music too!
More Letter of the Week Snacks:
- A is for Airplane (granola bar)
- B is for Butterfly (grapes)
- C is for Car (apple)
- D is for Dirt (Oreos)
- E is for Egg (pretzels)
- F is for Fishing (cupcake)
- G is for Green (rice krispy)
- H is for Heart (waffle)
- I is for Ice Cream (ice cream)
- J is for Jelly Bean (Trail Mix)
- K is for Kite (Graham cracker)
- L is for Lollipop (Apple Lollipop)
- M is for Monster (Monster Cookie)
- N is for Nest (Nest Candy)
- O is for Octopus (Hotdog Snack)
- P is for Pumpkin (Mandarin Oranges)
- Q is for Quicksand (Pudding)
- R is for Rainbow (Cereal Snack)
- S is for Smores (graham crackers, marshmallows and chocolate)
- T is for Tree (Banana & Grapes)
- U is for Underwater (graham crackers, frosting, and goldfish)
- V is for Veggie Vase (veggies and ranch dip)
- W if for Watermelon Popsicles (watermelon & kiwi fruit)