Do you ever cook with jicama? We are on the hunt for ways to incorporate it into your meal plan. (Make sure you check out my 200+ easy recipes for busy families while you’re here.)
Branching out in the kitchen can be tough. This really is a delicious vegetable. Believe it or not it is comparable to a yam. Need some cooking ideas? Check out these delicious jicama recipes that your whole family will love!
The inside of it is white, fruit flavored, and can be eaten both raw or cooked. We have been experimenting with fresh fruit and vegetable deliveries and this week jicama was part of our box. Surprisingly everyone is pretty excited about trying it out. Since they are similar to the yam family they are a wonderful alternative to regular white potatoes!
Jicama is white like an apple, has a sweet flavor, but also contains the consistency of a starch. It is also a very healthy option and super popular among those who eat Paleo diets.
Jicama is really tasty in all kinds of fruit and veggie based salads, as potato substitutes, and also a great dipping item!
15 Jicama Recipes
1. Your family will really love these Jicama Fries which as a healthy alternative to regular french fries! Nummy For My Tummy
2. Toss together this Cucumber & Jicama Salad that is a great side dish for any meal. Busy At Home
3. Make this Jicama & Carrot Slaw for your end of summer barbeque or family gathering. Cookin’ Canuck
4. Whip up these Jicama Home Fries that are perfectly paired with your breakfast meals. Paleo Mama
5. This Jicama Dill Potato Salad is packed with flavor and super yummy! Paleo Grubs
6. Create your own spring rolls with Apple Jicama Salad Rolls complete with peanut dipping sauce. eHow
7. This Watermelon, Mango, and Jicama Salad is a great refreshing treat! Tablespoon
8. Try out this Jicama, Avocado, and Radish Salad for a fiberfull twist on traditional salad. Vegan Yack Attack
9. This yummy Jicama and Black Bean Salad is a great summer side dish and full of flavor. Meet Me In The Kitchen
10. Top your tacos with Cucumber Jicama Slaw that is super easy to make and very healthy! Perry’s Plate
11. Give the kiddos these Jicama Snack Sticks and they will think they are apples! Make The Best of Everything
12. This Colorful Jicama Noodle Salad is packed with both texture and flavor. Blissful Basil
13. This complete how-to guide for Jicama Rice is a low carb substitute for regular rice and very tasty. Detoxinista
14. This Jicama and Pineapple Salad is an ultimate food for gatherings and it sensational. Shrinking Kitchen
15. Try this recipe for Spicy Broccoli Jicama Salad that has just enough sweet and spice. Kayln’s Kitchen
Wonder how to choose you jicama and what to look for at the produce stand?
Tips for Buying Jicama:
1. Choose a jicama that is firm and heavy to ensure its quality. Don’t pick one that really big or shriveled and those are not flavorful.
2. A jicama can keep for an extended period of time…like two weeks! Store them in your pantry until cut.
3. When cutting always remove the peel. The outside is not edible at all and you also want to remove the first layer just under the skin because it might be tough.
Do you have a tasty recipe for jicama? Please share with us!