Apple Turnovers are a delicious and easy to make dessert or snack. All you need is some pastry dough, apples, sugar, and spices. Just assemble the dough, fill it with the apple mixture, then bake until golden brown. You’ll love these homemade apple turnovers!
There’s nothing quite like a freshly baked apple pie, and Recipes Using Apples are some of the most popular and classic recipes around. Whether you’re looking for a dessert or a tasty side dish, there’s an apple recipe out there for you. One of the great things about recipes using apples is that they’re so versatile – you can use them in sweet or savory dishes, depending on your preference.
Ingredients Included in this Recipe
Here’s what you need for these mouthwatering treats!
- Small Apples– Small apples are the perfect size for apple turnovers. To cut them, start by removing the stem and then cutting the apple in half. Next, use a paring knife to remove the core from each half. Finally, cut each apple half into thin slices.
- Butter– The fat in butter helps to keep the pastry dough moist and tender, ensuring that it doesn’t become dry or crumbly. Butter also adds flavor to the dough, complementing the sweetness of the apples.
- Brown Sugar– When used in an apple turnover, brown sugar helps to caramelize the apples, giving them a deep sweetness and rich flavor. Brown sugar is also softer than white sugar, making it easier to work with when shaping the dough.
- Ground Cinnamon– Ground Cinnamon is a versatile spice that can be used in sweet or savory dishes. The warm, spicy flavor of Ground Cinnamon complements the sweetness of the apples perfectly.
- Ground Nutmeg– Ground Nutmeg is a spice that is often used in baking, and it can be particularly effective in apple turnovers. The warm, earthy flavor of nutmeg pairs well with the sweetness of apples, and a touch of nutmeg can help to bring out the natural flavors of the fruit.
- Cornstarch– Cornstarch is a common ingredient in many recipes, including apple turnovers. When used in baking, it acts as a thickener and helps to give the final product a light, flaky texture. Cornstarch is also useful for preventing fruit pies from becoming soggy. By sprinkling a little cornstarch over the top of the apples before adding the rest of the filling, you can help to keep the juices from seeping through the crust.
- Frozen Puff Pastry– Frozen puff pastry is a convenient option for making apple turnovers. The dough is already rolled out and ready to use, so you don’t have to worry about taking the time to make your own pastry. Additionally, frozen puff pastry is less likely to shrink during baking, which means that your turnovers will be evenly sized and nicely shaped.
- Egg– Egg wash is important for apple turnovers because egg yolks help to create a seal around the edges of the pastry. This seal helps to prevent the filling from leaking out during baking.
- Milk– The milk helps to thin out the egg so that it can evenly coat the surface of the dough. It also adds moisture, which is important for creating a crisp and flaky crust. Without milk, the egg wash would be too thick and would not evenly coat the dough.
- Granulated Sugar– Granulated sugar is important for apple turnovers because it helps to balance out the tartness of the apples and creates a sweet, crunchy topping. When you bite into an apple turnover, you want to be met with a sweet, flaky crust and juicy, tart apples.
Baking Essentials from Amazon:
Wilton Easy Layers Sheet Cake Pan, 2-Piece Set, Rectangle Steel Sheet PanAmazon Basics Silicone, Non-Stick, Food Safe Baking Mat – Pack of 2OXO Good Grips Silicone Basting & Pastry Brush – SmallNorpro Grip-EZ Pastry/Ravioli Wheel, BlackGorilla Grip Nonstick Flexible Silicone Spatula, Nonporous, BPA Free, Heat Resistant, No Scratch Kitchen Cookware, Comfortable Soft Handle, Dishwasher Safe, Flip Burgers, Pancakes, 11.6 Inch, Black
What Pastry is Apple Turnover Made From?
Apple turnovers are a type of pastry that is made from a puff pastry dough. The dough is rolled out and then filled with a filling that is made from apples. The apple filling is then folded into the dough and the turnover is baked. The apple turnover is a popular pastry and can be found in many bakeries.
What is the Best Apple to Use for Apple Turnovers?
When it comes to apple turnovers, there are many different types of apples that can be used. However, some apples are better suited for turnover recipes than others. For instance, Granny Smith apples are tart and firm, making them a good option for apple turnovers. Golden Delicious apples are also a good choice for turnovers, as they are slightly sweet and have a delicate flavor.
If you are looking for a more assertive flavor, Braeburn or Honeycrisp apples may be a better option. Ultimately, the best apple to use for apple turnovers is the one that you prefer the taste of.
How Long are Homemade Apple Turnovers Good For?
Have you ever made apple turnovers at home? They’re one of my favorite fall desserts. While store-bought apple turnovers are convenient, there’s nothing quite like a homemade apple turnover fresh out of the oven. But how long do they last? How long are homemade apple turnovers good for?
Generally speaking, apple turnovers will last for 2-3 days on the counter or in the fridge. If you want them to last a little longer, you can freeze them for up to 3 months. Just be sure to wrap them tightly in freezer-safe wrap before putting them in the freezer.
When it comes to apple turnovers, fresh is always best. But if you have leftovers, fear not! With proper storage, your apple turnovers will still be delicious for days (or even weeks) to come.
Apple Essentials from Amazon:
POUDBDH Farm to Table Fresh Picked Apples Metal Hanging Sign Decor – Country Cottage Wall Decor – Farmhouse Wall Decor 12 X 8 InchesPutuo Decor Apple Sign, Summer Fruit Wall Art Decorations for Kitchen, Cafe Bar, Farmhouse, Front Porch, Fruit Market, 12×8 Inches Vintage Aluminum Metal SignFall Candles, Farmhouse Candle, Autumn Candle, Fall Scented Candles for Home, Farmhouse Fall Decor, Fall Home Decor, Fall Bathroom Decor, Autumn Decor, Apple Cinnamon Candle – 9ozStuffed Fabric Apples, Summer Fall Farmhouse Tiered Tray Decor, Vintage Red Buffalo Plaid Basket Bowl Fillers For Home Kitchen, Autumn Party Supplies, Set of 3Walford Home Original Kitchen Utensil Holder Crock, Red With Premium Padded Base – Vintage Farmhouse Home Kitchen Decor – Large Kitchen Tool Utensil Storage Caddy OrganizerPrime Leader Apples Table Runner, 13 x 90 inch Red Apples and Ladybug on Retro Weave Texture Table Runner for Holiday Family Dinner, Farmhouse, Indoor or Outdoor Parties(Cotton-Polyester Blend)
More Recipes with Apples You’ll Love!
- Instant Pot Cinnamon Apples Recipe
- Super Easy Instant Pot Apple Butter
- Slow Cooker Applesauce Recipe for a Large Family
- Apple Pie Cupcakes with Cinnamon Icing
Amazing Recipes like these Turnovers
- Apple Butter Crescent Rolls
- Crescent Roll Apple Dumplings
- Apple Cranberry Turnovers
- Apple Pie Crescent Rolls
- 2 Small Apples, peeled and cored
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- 1 Tablespoon Water
- 1 Sheet of Frozen Puff Pastry, 9x9 in size, thawed
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tablespoon Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Chop the apples into small, bite-sized pieces.
- In a medium-sized pan, start melting butter and brown sugar over medium heat.
- Add apples into the brown sugar mixture. Stir occasionally.
- Sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg evenly over apples. Stir more until all ingredients are well-combined.
- In a small bowl, mix together cornstarch and water. Pour into apple mixture and stir until everything thickens up.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Cut puff pastry into 9 small squares. Place on lined baking sheet.
- Scoop a bit of the apple mixture in the center of each puff pastry square.
- Fold over each puff pastry to form a triangle and press the edges with a fork.
- Whisk together egg and milk.
- Brush egg wash over each puff pastry triangle. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve and enjoy!