This homemade Buttercream Icing Recipe is the perfect easy solution for all your cake and cupcake decorating needs! It’s so easy to make and it tastes absolutely delicious. With its creamy texture and rich flavor, this buttercream icing will take your cakes, cupcakes, and cookies to a whole new level of yumminess. Plus, you’ll love how easy it is to make this buttercream icing recipe. So go ahead and try it out today – you won’t be disappointed!
Nothing says “homemade with love” like Buttercream Icing Recipes. Buttercream icings have been beloved for centuries and have transformed ordinary cakes into extraordinary creations. With just a few simple ingredients like butter, sugar, and other flavorings you can whip up an amazing Buttercream icing to make any cake taste delicious. Whether you’re new to Buttercream icings or an experienced baker, there are Buttercream icing recipes for everyone!
Ingredients Needed for this Recipe
Here’s what you need to make this delicious icing!
- Solid Shortening– Solid Shortening is great for many baking recipes, but it’s especially beneficial when making a buttercream icing recipe. Solid Shortening has a higher melting point than regular butter, so it keeps the consistency of the frosting thicker and less likely to break down or melt. This makes Solid Shortening especially useful in hot climates where traditional butter would not hold up as well in the heat.
- Butter– Butter is a key ingredient in buttercream icing recipes for a number of reasons. As butter contains lower levels of water, it helps keep the icing together and prevents separation when the icing is being whipped. In addition, butter imparts a delicious richness to buttercream icings, making them both delightfully creamy and decadently buttery-tasting.
- Vanilla– Vanilla is a key ingredient in many Buttercream icing recipes because it adds an unmistakably rich and creamy flavor that complements all types of cake, cookies, and other desserts. Without vanilla, this traditional icing recipe would not have the same delightful sweet-tart balance.
- Confectioners Sugar– Confectioners sugar, also known as powdered sugar or icing sugar, is an essential ingredient when making buttercream frosting. Confectioners sugar has a much finer consistency than regular sugar, which makes it the perfect choice for creating a smooth texture in baked goods. Confectioners sugar dissolves easily when added to recipes that contain liquid ingredients, ensuring a deliciously soft, creamy and lump-free buttercream frosting.
- Milk– Milk is a key ingredient in any buttercream icing recipe. Milk brings out the sweetness and adds more flavor and richness to the icing, which gives it its creamy consistency. Milk proteins also help stabilize the structure of the frosting, making it less prone to melting or separating. Milk also helps make the buttercream fluffier and smoother, creating a rich texture that’s perfect for cakes or cupcakes.
Baking Essentials from Amazon:
KitchenAid KSM75WH Stand Mixer, 4.5 Qt, WhiteHOTEC Food Grade Silicone Rubber Spatula Set for Baking, Cooking, and Mixing High Heat Resistant Non Stick Dishwasher Safe BPA-Free Multicolor Set of 5Glad Mixing Bowls with Pour Spout, Set of 3 | Nesting Design Saves Space | Non-Slip, BPA Free, Dishwasher Safe | Kitchen Cooking and Baking Supplies, WhiteAmazon Basics Stainless Steel Wire Whisk Set – 3-PieceYLYL 47 Pcs Russian Piping Tips Set, 12 Flower Frosting Tips Nozzles Icing Tips for Cake Decorating Tips Kit, Baking Supplies for Cookie Cupcake, 2 Leaf Piping Tips 2 Couplers 30 Pastry Baking Bags
NEED TO SAVE MONEY
ON YOUR GROCERY BILL?
What is the Difference Between Buttercream Frosting and Buttercream Icing?
Buttercream frosting and buttercream icing are two terms that are often used interchangeably, but they can actually refer to very different things. Buttercream frosting typically refers to a smooth, spreadable mixture of butter, sugar and milk that is used to cover cakes or cupcakes. Buttercream icing is slightly different in that it’s made with shortening instead of butter as the fat content and also includes an egg during mixing – this recipe creates a thicker and more stable product which is used for elaborate decorations like flowers.
So while technically you could use either one for both purposes, some recipes might require you to use one versus the other in order to get the desired look or taste.
Does Buttercream Need to be Refrigerated?
Buttercream, a combination of butter, powdered sugar and other flavorings, can be a great way to top off cakes and cupcakes. Buttercream may not require refrigeration depending on the recipe used. Generally speaking, buttercream made with just butter and powdered sugar won’t need refrigeration as long as it is consumed soon after baking. On the other hand, a more traditional buttercream icing recipe which includes ingredients like eggs or cream cheese should be kept in the fridge until serving time.
In most cases, if room temperature is between 50-70 degrees Fahrenheit and the cake has only been left out for a few hours then you should be fine to serve it without refrigerating it first.
Can You Overbeat Buttercream?
Buttercream is a popular and delicious choice for frosting cakes and cupcakes, but did you know that you can actually overbeat it? Buttercream is just a combination of butter, sugar and sometimes milk or cream, so overbeating will see its texture change from rich and creamy to gritty when too much air is incorporated. That’s why it’s important to refer to your buttercream icing recipe or instructions carefully; never rush the process or you’ll be licking your fingers … with disappointment!
Cake Baking Essentials from Amazon
YLYL 47 Pcs Russian Piping Tips Set, 12 Flower Frosting Tips Nozzles Icing Tips for Cake Decorating Tips Kit, Baking Supplies for Cookie Cupcake, 2 Leaf Piping Tips 2 Couplers 30 Pastry Baking BagsPiping Bags and Tips Set, Cake Decorating Supplies for Baking with Reusable Pastry Bags and Tips, Standard Converters, Silicone Rings, Cake Decorating Tools for Cookie Icing, Cake, CupcakeAmazon Basics Non-Stick, Round Cake Pan, 9-Inch, Gray with Red Grips, 2-PackWilton Recipe Right Non-Stick 9 x 13-Inch Oblong Cake Pans, Set of 2, Steel Cake PansLodge Seasoned Cast Iron Mini Cake Pan, 7 ImpressionsKootek 12 Inch Cake Turntable Cake Decorating Kit Supplies, 7 Pcs Baking Supplies Aluminium Alloy Revolving Cake Decorating Stand, with 3 Icing Smoother, Icing Spatula, Silicone Spatula, Cake Cutter
More Amazing Buttercream Icing Recipes
Homemade Cake Recipes You’ll Love!
- How to Make a Rainbow Cake
- Instant Pot Layered Chocolate Cake
- Heart Shaped Cake for Valentine’s Day
- Egg Nog Cake Recipe
- 1 1/2 Cups Solid Shortening
- 1/2 Cup Butter, room temperature
- 2 Teaspoons Vanilla
- (1) 32 Ounce Bag Confectioners Sugar
- 1/3 Cup Milk (or heavy whipping cream)
- Cream butter and shortening with an electric mixer until well blended. A stand-alone mixer works best.
- Add the vanilla and mix until blended.
- Gradually add sugar one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Stop in between each cup to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- The icing will start to get dry, you can gradually add your milk or heavy whipping cream. Keep mixing until everything is fluffy and smooth. If you would like to color the icing, this is the stage you would do that. Just add the gel coloring and mix on medium speed until well blended.
- You can now place the icing in a bag for piping your cupcakes or ice your cake.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
RFAQK- 90 Pcs Russian piping tips set with storage case - Cake decorating supplies kit - 54 Numbered easy to use icing nozzles (28 Russian + 25 Icing + 1 Ball tip) - Pattern chart, Ebook User Guide
StarPack Basics Silicone Spatula Set (2 Small, 2 Large), High Heat Resistant to 480°F, Hygienic One Piece Design, Non Stick Rubber Cooking Utensil Set (Teal Blue)
KitchenAid KSM150PSAQ Artisan Series 5-Qt. Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield - Aqua Sky
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 598Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 66mgCarbohydrates: 76gFiber: 0gSugar: 74gProtein: 0g