This Chocolate Buttercream Icing is the perfect easy recipe for any cake or cupcake. It’s made with just a few simple ingredients, so you can whip it up in no time at all. The flavor is rich and chocolatey, with a creamy texture that will make your desserts unforgettable. Give this easy icing recipe a try and you’ll never go back to store-bought icing again!
Making Homemade Icing Recipes can be a rewarding experience – the satisfaction of being able to craft something delicious with your own two hands is truly one of a kind. Plus, homemade icing recipes often taste much better than store bought options without compromising ease of preparation. Whether you are baking cookies for a special occasion or just trying to add a homemade touch to your meal, homemade icing recipes will make any dessert look and taste amazing!
Ingredients Needed for this Recipe
Here’s what you need for this easy treat!
- Butter– Using butter in Chocolate Buttercream Icing adds a buttery, silky smooth texture and delivers an incredibly rich flavor. As butter contains about 20% water, it helps in making the frosting soft and creamy. The butter also contributes to the slowly dissolving sweetness on your tongue, as well as increasing aeration so that when you pipe onto cupcakes or cakes, they don’t collapse.
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder– Unsweetened Cocoa Powder is a great addition to Chocolate Buttercream Icing, as it gives the icing a delicious and intense chocolaty flavor without adding too much sweetness. Unsweetened Cocoa Powder not only amplifies the flavor of the Chocolate Buttercream Icing, but it also creates a really nice texture.
- Chocolate Syrup– Chocolate syrup is a great way to make Chocolate Buttercream Icing even better! It adds a subtle sweetness and helps to bring out the rich chocolate flavours that already exist in the icing. The texture of Chocolate Syrup also works wonderfully with Chocolate Buttercream Icing, giving it an enjoyable light-and-fluffy consistency.
- Powdered Sugar– Powdered sugar is a must-have ingredient for the best chocolate buttercream icing. This type of sweetener is a finely ground form of traditional granulated sugar, which helps it to dissolve more quickly and evenly in your recipe. Powdered sugar also produces a really light and creamy texture, helping your icing to be beautifully smooth and silky.
- Milk– Milk is an essential ingredient in many cakes and frostings, since it adds a bit of sweetness to the mix. But when Milk is added to Chocolate Buttercream Icing, it takes a classic recipe to the next level. Milk adds that creamy texture as well as a great flavor which balances out the chocolate to yield a smooth and delicious frosting every time.
- Vanilla– Vanilla is the perfect addition to chocolate buttercream icing, adding a subtle hint of extra sweetness and a velvety texture. Vanilla rounds out the bitter, darker notes from the chocolate and creates a smooth, creamy flavor. Vanilla also has its own unique flavor profile that can bring out the full potential of your creation.
Baking Essentials from Amazon:
Cuisinart 5.5 Quart Stand Mixer, Manual, White LinenEuro-Ware Mixing Bowl, 3 quart, Stainless SteelHOTEC Food Grade Silicone Rubber Spatula Set for Baking, Cooking, and Mixing High Heat Resistant Non Stick Dishwasher Safe BPA-Free Multicolor Set of 5Powder Sugar Sifter for Baking Small – 5 Cup Flour Sifter Stainless Steel Sifter Fine Mesh Flour Sifter Sieve – Powdered Sugar Sifter for Baking Sifter Strainer Large Flour Sifter for Baking Fine MeshOXO Good Grips Large Wooden Spoon, BeechPiping Bag and Tips Cake Decorating Supplies Kit Baking Supplies Cupcake Icing Tips with Pastry Bag for Baking Decorating Cake
What is Buttercream Icing?
Buttercream icing is really a treat for any special occasion. It’s like a little cloud of sweetness that you can add to your favorite cakes and cupcakes! Buttercream is one of the most popular icings because it has the perfect blend of butter, sugar, and cream; making it both light and fluffy while also having just enough sweet taste that it doesn’t overpower the dessert. Buttercream also holds its shape nicely – so decorating with Buttercream Icing is a great option as well. Whether you’re making a cake or cupcakes, Buttercream Icing will always be deliciously delicious!
Does Buttercream Need to be Refrigerated?
Buttercream icing is a delicious indulgence that adds a rich, creamy sweetness to any cake or pastry. Decorations made with buttercream are often very delicate, so the question of whether it needs to be refrigerated can arise. Buttercream with high amounts of butter and very little other liquid ingredients can generally be left at room temperature without worry.
However, if you’re using heavier cream or milk in your recipe, many experts recommend refrigerating the buttercream after it’s been applied to your desserts. This will help prevent bacterial growth and keep the decorations looking their best.
Should I Refrigerate Cake Before Frosting?
One important factor to consider when deciding whether or not to refrigerate cake before frosting is the type of icing you plan on using. While Buttercream Icing is generally more forgiving with temperature changes and can handle a few hours outside of the fridge – especially if your kitchen is kept cool – it’s always better to be safe than sorry.
Buttercream Icing is sensitive to moisture, which means a cold cake may actually make it easier to ice and will result in a smoother finish and less crumbly mess – but only if done correctly. If your Buttercream Icing contains dairy products then you must store them in the fridge before and after decorating, so refrigerating the cake beforehand is an absolute must.
Cake Baking Essentials from Amazon:
BBN Cake Pan, 8 inch Round Cake Pans, 2 Pcs Silicone Molds for Baking, Nonstick & Quick Release Baking Pans for Layer Cake, Cheese Cake and Chocolate CakeKootek 11 Inch Rotating Cake Turntable with 2 Icing Spatula and 3 Icing Smoother, Revolving Cake Stand White Baking Cake Decorating Kits SuppliesAmazon Basics Non-Stick, Round Cake Pan, 9-Inch, Gray with Red Grips, 2-PackAteco Stainless Steel Cake Tester – 7 Inch, Set of 3Wilton Excelle Elite 3-Tier Cooling Rack for Cookies, Cake and More, BlackKootek 52 Pcs Cake Decorating Kit Supplies, 11 Inch Cake Turntable Stand, 36 Piping Tips, 3 Icing Spatula, 3 Icing Smoother, 2 Silicone Piping Bags, Baking Supplies Tools for Cake Decorating
More Homemade Icing Recipes Like This!
You’ll Love These Other Cake Recipes
- Easy Apple Butter Cake Recipe
- Egg Nog Cake Recipe
- German Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Oreo Chocolate Cheesecake Cake
- 8 Tablespoons Butter, room temperature
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/2 Cup Chocolate Syrup
- 3 Cups Powdered Sugar (sifted)
- 1 Tablespoon Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- Cream the butter in a bowl and add the powdered cocoa and chocolate syrup.
- While continuing to mix add the powdered sugar one cup at a time.
- Slowly add the milk and vanilla.
- Once combined pipe into bags and top cupcakes.