Chicken Enchilada Casserole with Biscuits
Are you looking for easy recipes that the entire family will love? Look no further than this delicious Chicken Enchilada Casserole! Not only is it easy to make, but it’s also packed with flavor thanks to shredded chicken, black beans, corn, and green chilies. Topped with cheese and buttery biscuit crumbs, this dish is sure to be a hit at your next family dinner! Get ready to dig into some delicious enchilada casserole – you won’t regret it!
If you’re looking for an easy and delicious meal, you can’t go wrong with classic Chicken Recipes. There are so many different variations that it’s almost impossible not to find one that suits your taste buds! From cheesy baked dishes to spicy enchiladas, there’s timeless chicken recipes to please everyone at the dinner table.
Ingredients Needed for this Recipe
Here’s what you need to make this easy weeknight dish!
- Shredded Chicken– Shredded chicken is the perfect ingredient to use in your chicken enchilada casserole! The ideal texture and size of shredded chicken allows it to mix well into the dish while also offering a tender, delicious bite.
- Black Beans– Black beans are a great addition when making a chicken enchilada casserole due to the range of health benefits they provide. Not only is black bean full of protein and dietary fiber, but it’s also rich in several essential vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Red Enchilada Sauce– The tomato-based sauce adds a kick of flavor in its own right, but what really makes it stand out is its combination of spices that deepen into an earthy richness when heated.
- Corn– Corn is a great ingredient to use when making a chicken enchilada casserole due to its versatile nature. Not only can it give the dish some sweetness, but it also adds extra texture and crunch as well. You can either use canned or frozen corn kernels, as both will deliver an amazing flavor and look great when they bake into the casserole.
- Green Chilies– Green chilies are the perfect ingredient to add a kick of flavor to chicken enchilada casserole. The mild heat from the green chilies adds dimension to the dish, especially when combined with creamy cheese and ingredients like corn.
- Garlic Powder– Adding garlic powder to a chicken enchilada casserole is a great way to enhance the flavor. Not only does it add more complexity and depth, but garlic also adds a subtle sweetness that can bring out all of the other savory and spicy flavors in the dish.
- Minced Onion– Minced Onion adds a unique flavor to Chicken Enchilada Casserole that you can’t get from any other ingredient. The subtle sweetness of the onion complements the blandness of the chicken perfectly, and it also contributes to the hearty texture that is expected in a good enchilada casserole.
- Cumin– Cumin is a great ingredient to use in Chicken Enchilada Casserole because of its aromatic and earthy taste. It adds complexity to the dish, providing an additional layer of flavor that can’t be achieved with other seasonings alone.
- Mexican Cheese– Mexican cheeses have everything that makes them perfect for chicken enchilada casserole. For starters, they’re creamy and melty, so their texture blends perfectly with the other ingredients. Plus, the flavorful sharpness of many Mexican varieties such as Queso fresco and Oaxaca cheese pair exquisitely with bold spices like cumin and chilies.
- Buttermilk Biscuits– Buttermilk biscuits are the perfect vessel for soaking up a comforting and flavorful chicken enchilada casserole. Not only do they add texture to the dish, but their slight tang from the buttermilk complements all the different flavors in the enchilada. The light, golden brown crust that develops on top of the biscuit gives it an irresistible crunch that is hard to pass up.
Cooking Essentials at Amazon
Lodge L8SK3 10-1/4-Inch Pre-Seasoned SkilletFarberware Glide Deep Nonstick Frying Pan / Fry Pan / Skillet with Helper Handle – 12.5 Inch, BlackWood Spoon, Healthy Acacia Wooden Cooking Spoons, Durable Kitchen Serving Spoon Scooper, Non Scratch Wood Ladle Tableware For Cooking, Serving Salad, Stirring Soup, Easy to useOXO Good Grips Small Silicone Flexible Turner Black5 PCS Pot Holders for Kitchen, Cotton Potholers with Great Heat Resistance, Hot Pads, Trivets for Cooking and Baking RedCotton Dishtowel, Striped Cotton Towels, Kitchen Dish Towels, Kitchen Towels Cotton, Towel with Hanging Loop, Tea Towels, Linen Dish Towels, White with Navy Blue Striped Towel [Pack of 6 18 x 28 ]
Can this Chicken Enchilada Casserole Be Made Ahead of Time?
This great chicken enchilada casserole is an excellent way to feed your family a delicious dinner without spending all day in the kitchen. The good news is that this dish can easily be made ahead of time, allowing you to spend less time prepping and more time enjoying a relaxing meal with the ones you love.
All the ingredients aside from the biscuits can be mixed together and frozen for several months. When ready to cook, assemble the casserole, top with tortillas, and bake. The ease of preparation makes it ideal for busy weeknight dinners or special occasions when you have extra company coming in from out of town.
What Cheese is Best for Enchiladas?
When picking out a cheese for enchiladas, you want one that will melt and get stringy when heated. An old standby is cheddar cheese – it melts well and gives a consistent flavor to your dish. For a more exotic flavor, try Monterey Jack or Oaxaca cheese, both of which have a tangy, buttery taste and smooth texture.
If you’re feeling adventurous, try using an animal-based cheese such as queso blanco (fresh white Mexican) or panela (unaged dry crumble) – these two types of cheese offer unique flavors to your enchiladas sauce combined with their creamy texture. No matter which cheese you use in your enchilada sauce, it’s sure to be delicious!
What Goes Well with Chicken Enchilada Casserole?
There’s nothing quite like a warm, bubbling chicken enchilada casserole to bring all the flavors and smells of Mexican cuisine into your home. To make it even more of a feast, you can serve a selection of other dishes alongside. Rice and beans are classic sides that go well with the casserole. To add some crunch, why not try some fried tortilla strips or chips?
Adding a fresh twist to the meal is an easy way to brighten it up – serve some mixed salad leaves with chopped onions, tomatoes, pepper, and shredded cheese for a flavorful accompaniment. If you’re looking for something with more zest, try pico de gallo salsa!
Any of these sides would make a great addition alongside your chicken enchilada casserole.
Casserole Pans at Amazon
Lodge EC3CC43 Enameled Cast Iron Covered Casserole, 3-Quart, Island Spice RedDOWAN Baking Dish, Casserole Dishes for Oven, Lasagna Pan Deep,135 oz Large Ceramic Baking Pan with Handles, 9×13 Baking Dish for Cooking, WhiteCuisinart Cast Iron Casserole, 5.5 Qt Oval Covered, Enameled Provencial BluePyrex Basics 3 Quart Glass Oblong Baking Dish with Red Plastic Lid -13.2 INCH x 8.9inch x 2 inchLIFVER Baking Dish, 75 oz Ceramic Baking Dishes for Oven, Ceramic Bakeware, Casserole Dish, Rectangular Lasagna Pan Deep, Porcelain Baking Pan for Cooking, Cake, Banquet , Lasagna and Dinner, Oven Safe, 11.5X 7.5 InchRachael Ray Expandable Insulated Casserole Carrier with Dish Storage, Hot Cold Food Carrier, Delivery Bag, Insulated Food Bag, Casserole Carrier Bag Insulated, Casserole Carriers for Hot or Cold Food
More Amazing Chicken Recipes
- Chicken and Squash over Rice
- Vodka Chicken Pasta Recipe
- Chicken Orzo Soup Recipe
- Crockpot Chicken and Zucchini Bowtie Pasta
You’ll Love these Delicious Enchilada Recipes
- Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
- Vegetarian Black Bean Enchilada Casserole
- Cheesy Beef Enchiladas
Chicken Enchilada Casserole
This Chicken Enchilada Casserole is a super easy weeknight meal the whole family will love. You'll have this delicious dish on the table in no time!
- 2 Cups Shredded Chicken
- 15.25 Ounce Can Black Beans, drained
- 10 Ounce Can Red Enchilada Sauce
- 15.25 Ounce Can Corn, drained
- 7 Ounce Can Green Chilies
- 1½ Teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Minced Onion
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1 Bag Shredded Mexican Cheese
- 1 Can Pillsbury Buttermilk Biscuits (cut into 6 even pieces)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large skillet mix all of the ingredients together except for half of the cheese and the can of biscuits.
- Cook on medium heat for about 10 minutes, mixing well.
- When done, pour enchilada mixture in the bottom of a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Add the biscuit pieces and distribute the biscuits evenly.
- Top with the remaining cheese and place inside the oven for 25-28 minutes.