If you’re looking for an easy recipe that’s sure to warm up your family on a cold winter day, try out this delicious Chicken Orzo Soup! Packed with comforting flavors and easy-to-find ingredients, this soup will be ready in no time. Perfect for busy weeknights or lazy Sunday afternoons, this tasty recipe is sure to be a hit with your family! So grab the ingredients and get cooking – it’s time for some Chicken Orzo Soup!
Nobody likes eating the same thing all the time, and Simple Soup Recipes are a great way to add some variety to your weekly meal plans. Not only are they delicious, but they can often be made using ingredients you already have in your cupboards! Plus, most simple soups are incredibly easy to make, meaning you don’t need to worry about spending hours in the kitchen or having complicated instructions. So pick out your favorite vegetables and grab a pot – it’s time for some simple soup-making magic!
Ingredients Needed for This Recipe
Here’s what you need to make this hearty meal!
- Chicken Breasts– If you’re looking for the perfect chicken breasts to use in your chicken orzo soup, look no further! Boneless and skinless chicken breasts are the ideal choice. The texture of boneless and skinless chicken breasts is just right for adding a silky texture to the soup without being too overpowering.
- Olive Oil– Sauteing vegetables in olive oil is an excellent way to add flavor and texture to a dish like chicken orzo soup. The use of olive oil adds a layer of richness, making the vegetable components of the soup more succulent and flavorful.
- Garlic– Garlic is one of those amazing ingredients that adds a delicious flavor to just about anything. It’s especially good when added to chicken orzo soup, as its earthy, slightly spicy taste really brings the soup to life.
- Onion– Onions can be the star ingredient in a delicious chicken and orzo soup. Not only do they lend a savory flavor, but they add texture and heartiness to the soup. Onions have such a distinct flavor that it livens up any recipe.
- Baby Carrots– Baby carrots are the perfect addition to a flavorful chicken orzo soup! They give it a nice crunch, and their subtle sweetness helps balance out the saltier taste of the soup. Plus, they’re easy to work with!
- Celery– Celery adds a nice crunch to chicken orzo soup, making it more enjoyable to eat. Not only does this vegetable add texture, but it also has some beneficial nutrition. Celery is an excellent source of vitamin K and various antioxidants, which support a healthy immune system and help your body fight off diseases.
- Chicken Broth– One of the secrets to making a great chicken orzo soup lies in the broth you choose. Chicken broth is a clear winner – it provides a rich and savory flavor that’s essential for boosting this particular dish. Not only does it help bring out the taste of your chosen ingredients, but it also has beneficial properties for your health.
- Orzo– A delicious chicken orzo soup requires the right kind of orzo – and it’s surprisingly easy to decide what type is best! Smallest-sized orzo, also known as pastina, is the most suitable for making a delicious soup. The delicate flavor and texture of pastina pairs very nicely with a creamy chicken broth, plus it won’t overwhelm other ingredients in the pot.
- Pepper– Chicken orzo soup is a favorite in many households and for good reason! Adding pepper to the mix adds even more flavor and zest, creating an incredible dish. Pepper can really highlight the other flavors in the soup—the classic chicken taste, savory vegetables, and delightfully chewy orzo.
Soup Essentials from Amazon:
Cooks Standard 8-Quart Classic Stainless Steel Stockpot with Lid, 8-QT, SilverTramontina Covered Tall Round Dutch Oven Enameled Cast Iron 7 Qt (Classic Blue Gold Knob) – 80131/359DS3QT Enamel Cast Iron Dutch Oven with Loop Handles, Covered Dutch Oven, Enamel Stockpot with Lid, RedOXO Steel LadleOXO Good Grips 3- Piece Wooden Utensil SetKitchenAid Classic Soup Ladle, One Size, Black 2
Is Orzo a Rice or a Pasta?
Is orzo a rice or a pasta? This is a question that many have asked and yet have rarely seen a clear answer. Orzo, alternatively known as risoni, is actually most closely related to couscous in terms of ingredients and composition. Generally made from semolina flour, it has the same appearance and texture of a grain like rice, which can lead to confusion when deciding whether or not it belongs in the “rice” category or in the “pasta” category.
Regardless of what you decide to categorize it as, one thing that is for sure is that cooked orzo makes an amazing side dish – creamy, luxurious, and incredibly comforting!
Does Orzo Expand When it Cooks?
Have you ever been curious if Orzo expands when it cooks? This is an interesting food curiosity that so many people have. The truth is, Orzo does indeed expand in size when it cooks! Because of its small shape, it increases greatly in volume after being boiled and starts to clump together. It has a consistency similar to a risotto, with the advantage of being it can be made quicker since it’s a smaller pasta.
As with any other pasta dish, you can really explore your creative freedom by adding different types of vegetables and herbs to the pot so your Orzo dish never gets old. Get cooking today and get ready for some delicious Orzo that’s expanded to perfection!
How Long Does Chicken Orzo Soup Last?
If you’re like me, one of the questions you must have when it comes to preparing a delicious chicken orzo soup is how long it will last. In most cases, cooked chicken orzo soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days and should still remain fresh and flavorful. However, if stored in the freezer, chicken orzo soup could last up to three months, depending upon the storage container used.
While these figures provide a guideline for storing your delicious broth-based soup, to ensure that your safety is not compromised by any unforeseen bacteria growth, always check prior to consumption. Keep your pantry stocked and your taste buds happy with this tasty classic!
Kitchen Essentials from Amazon
Oven Mitts Heat Resistant – (Red Color) Mini Oven Mitts, Silicone Gloves Heat Resistant, Kitchen Gloves for Cooking, Silicone Oven Mitts & Pot Holders Sets, Kitchen Pot Holders & Oven Mitts SetsDII Basic Terry Collection Quilted 100% Cotton, Potholder, Barn Red, 3 PieceMicrofiber Kitchen Towels – Super Absorbent, Soft and Solid Color Dish Towels, 8 Pack (Stripe Designed Grey and White Colors), 26 x 18 InchDOWAN Ceramic Soup Bowls, Cereal Bowl, 22 Ounce Bowls Set, Chip Resistant, Dishwasher & Microwave Safe, Porcelain Bowls for Kitchen, White Bowls for Cereal Soup Rice Pasta Salad Oatmeal, Set of 4Bosmarlin Ceramic Soup Bowl Set of 4, 26 Oz, Stoneware Cereal Bowl for Oatmeal, Salad, Dishwasher and Microwave Safe, Reactive Glaze (Green, 6 in)HENXFEN LEAD Ceramic Cereal, Soup Bowls Set of 6 – 30 Oz Deep Colorful Porcelain Serving Bowls for Dinner, Pasta, Salad, Oatmeal – Bohemian Style
More Simple Soup Recipes
- Bean Soup Recipe
- Instant Pot Potato Soup
- Instant Pot Whole30 Chicken Soup
- Pasta Spinach Meatball Soup
You’ll Love these Other Chicken Recipes
- Easy Chicken Divan Casserole
- Foil-Pack Taco Chicken Recipe
- Chicken Puff Pastry Pockets
- Chicken Fajitas
- 2-3 Cups Shredded Cooked Chicken Breasts
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- Garlic Clove, minced (or 1 Tablespoon jarred)
- 1 Small Onion, chopped
- Handful of Baby Carrots, diced
- 2 Stalks of Celery, chopped
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth (can use leftover broth from cooking the chicken breasts)
- 1-2 Cups Orzo (depending on how thick you want your soup)
- Pepper, to taste
- Add the olive oil to a stock pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Toss in the onion, olive oil, garlic, a few cracks of pepper, the celery and carrots.
- Cook over medium heat until the veggies start to get tender - about 5 to 7 minutes. Pour the chicken broth over the veggies. (I cooked my chicken breasts and just held on to the stock.)
- Add the chicken and the orzo.
- I did one cup of orzo because I wanted some broth left.
- Stir. Place the lid on it and continue to cook on medium until the pasta is tender and everything is well combined about 25-30 minutes.
- Serve in bowls.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 239Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 445mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 29g