This Easy Sugar Cookie Recipe is so easy to follow and the results are delicious. The cookie dough only requires a few ingredients that you’re likely to have on hand, and the cookies bake up soft and fluffy. Plus, this recipe is easily adaptable if you want to add your own personal touches. Whether you dress them up with frosting or keep them simple, these sugar cookies are sure to please.
Looking for some Easy Christmas Cookies to make this season? You’ve come to the right place! Whether you’re a seasoned baker or just getting started in the kitchen, these recipes are sure to please. From classic sugar cookies to gingerbread men to decorated shortsbread, there’s something for everyone. And the best part is that they’re all relatively quick and easy to make. So what are you waiting for? Get baking!
$930 COSTCO HAUL | IS COSTCO WORTH IT? | SEE WHAT WE GOT FOR OUR MONEY!
Many people wonder if it’s really worth it to shop in bulk. We are a large family with five kids still at home. Let me show you what we bought for the month and how far we were able to stretch our grocery budget!
Ingredients Needed for this Recipe
Here’s what you need to make these delicious cookies!
NEED TO SAVE MONEY
ON YOUR GROCERY BILL?
- All Purpose Flour– For sugar cookies, All Purpose Flour is a good choice because it has a higher protein content than other types of flour. This means that the cookies will be more tender and have a finer texture.
- Granulated Sugar– Granulated sugar is the most common type of sugar used in baking, and it’s especially well-suited for sugar cookies. That’s because granulated sugar is able to hold onto moisture, which helps to keep the cookies soft and chewy. In addition, granulated sugar helps to create a crispier cookie by caramelizing on the outside as it bakes.
- Large Eggs– Large eggs are the key to making perfect sugar cookies. Large eggs have more whites, which results in a fluffy, moist cookie. They also have a higher ratio of yolk to whites, which gives the cookie a richer flavor.
- Salted Butter– Salted butter is often seen as the enemy of sweets, but when it comes to baking sugar cookies, it is actually your ally. Sugar cookies are all about flavor balance, and the addition of salt can help to bring out the sweetness of the sugar and the richness of the butter. It also helps to prevent the cookies from spreading too much during baking.
- Vanilla Extract– Vanilla extract is a common ingredient in sugar cookies, and for good reason. Vanilla extract not only gives sugar cookies their signature flavor, but it also helps to keep the cookies moist.
- Lemon Extract– Lemon extract is a common flavoring ingredient in many baked goods, including sugar cookies. Lemon extract is made by steeping lemon peel in alcohol, which helps to release the essential oils and flavor compounds.
Baking Essentials from Amazon:
KitchenAid KSM7586PCA 7-Quart Pro Line Stand Mixer Candy Apple RedAdjustable Rolling Pin with Thickness Rings for Baking, Stainless Steel Desgins Dough Roller Pins with Silicone Pastry Nonstick Mat for Cookie Decorating Baking Supplies Fondant Cake Baker GiftNordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker’s Half Sheet, 2-Pack, SilverAmazon Basics Silicone, Non-Stick, Food Safe Baking Mat – Pack of 2ANMEISH Cookie Cutters Set, 80-Piece — Holiday, Alphabet, Numbers and Everyday Shapes Metal Cookie Cutters, Including Christmas, Fall Thanksgiving, Halloween, Easter (80)
Why Did My Sugar Cookies Turn Out Hard?
There are a few possible reasons why sugar cookies might turn out hard. One possibility is that the dough was too dry. If the dough is too dry, it will be difficult to roll out and will result in harder cookies. Another possibility is that the cookies were overcooked. Sugar cookies should only be baked for a few minutes, until they are just lightly browned around the edges. If they are overcooked, they will become hard and dry. Finally, it is also possible that not enough sugar was used in the recipe. Sugar helps to make cookies soft and gives them a pleasant sweetness. Without enough sugar, cookies can be tough and bland.
How Long Do Sugar Cookies Last?
Sugar cookies are a delicious treat that can be enjoyed any time of year. But how long do sugar cookies last? With proper storage, sugar cookies will stay fresh for up to two weeks. Here are some tips for keeping your sugar cookies tasting their best. First, make sure the cookies are completely cooled before storing them in an airtight container.
If they are even slightly warm, they will continue to cook and become dry and crumbly. Be sure to layer the cookies with wax paper or parchment paper to prevent them from sticking together. And finally, store the cookies in a cool, dark place – the fridge is ideal. With these simple tips, you can enjoy fresh sugar cookies for up to two weeks!
Should I Chill Cookie Dough Before Baking?
When it comes to sugar cookies, there are two schools of thought on chilling the dough before baking. Some people say that chilling the dough helps the cookies keep their shape, while others find that chilled dough is too hard to work with. So, what’s the verdict?
There are a few things to consider when making sugar cookies. Firstly, sugar cookie dough is relatively crumbly and delicate, so chilling it can make it easier to work with. Secondly, sugar cookies spread less when they’re made with cold dough, so if you’re looking for a neater cookie, chilling the dough beforehand is a good idea. Finally, sugar cookies made with chilled dough tend to have a slightly crispier texture.
So, should you chill your sugar cookie dough before baking? For this recipe, yes, you need to chill it.
That said, for other cookie dough recipes, ultimately, it’s up to you. If you’re looking for an easier-to-handle dough or a crisper cookie, chilling the dough beforehand is a good option. Otherwise, feel free to bake your sugar cookies without chilling the dough first.
More Cookie Baking Supplies from Amazon
Nifty 3-in-1 Baking Rack – Nickel Chrome Plating, Cooling & Baking Rack, Multipurpose Kitchen Accessory, Folds Flat for Easy Storage, Use for Cookies, Pizzas, Baked GoodsRiccle Reusable Piping Bags and Tips Set – Strong Silicone Icing Bags with Tips – 25 Pcs Cake Decorating Kit of 6 Pastry Bags 12, 14 & 16 Inch – 6 Couplers, 6 Frosting Tips, 6 Bag Ties, Cake ScraperRubbermaid 644766082353 Easy Find Lid Food Storage Container, BPA-Free Plastic, 1-1/2 Gal (4-Pack), clearOXO Good Grips Silicone Cookie SpatulaReynolds Kitchens Cookie Baking Sheets, Pre-Cut Parchment Paper,25 Count (Pack of 4), 100 Total Sheets
There’s something about homemade cookies that just can’t be beaten. Maybe it’s the nostalgia of childhood memories, or the fact that homemade cookies always seem to taste just a little bit better than store-bought. Whatever the reason, there’s no denying that baking cookies is a truly enjoyable experience.
You’ll Love These Other Easy Christmas Cookies!
Whether they’re warm from the oven or cooled and dipped in milk, homemade cookies are guaranteed to bring a smile to your face. So next time you’re looking for a fun activity, why not try your hand at making homemade cookies? You might just surprise yourself at how much you enjoy it!
More Delicious Sugar Cookie Ideas
- Easy Rainbow Sugar Cookies
- Brown Butter Sugar Cookies
- Christmas Cookie Exchange Recipes
- Eggless Sugar Cookies
- Cookie Decorating Ideas
- 5 1/2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 3 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 4 Large Eggs
- 1 Pound Salted Butter, at room temperature
- 1 Tablespoons Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Extract (you could use almond extract instead if you want)
- Using a mixer combine the sugar and butter until smooth at medium speed.
- Slowly add the eggs to the mixture and beat together until fluffy.
- Then add the extracts.
- Reduce the speed to low and add the flour slowly. Once combined, increase speed to mix things well.
- Remove the dough and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- After chilling roll the dough out using a rolling pin and use the desired cookie cutters.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 6-8 minutes.
Doing Elf on the Shelf this Year?
These printables will make Elf on the Shelf fun and easy! Check out our Elf Bundle!